Friday, July 14, 2017

{ Matar Saudades }

July 14, 2017

There is a saying in Portuguese called Saudades.  There's no real translation to the English language, I guess the closest to it would be feeling of missing something or feeling homesick.

Then there's the saying "Matar Saudades", which if we translate it word for word would be to Kill that feeling of missing something.  Again, it's really hard to translate it to the English language but in the Portuguese language it's something we use a lot when speaking about someone we are missing or certain place or time.

It's not the same as what I was referring to in my previous post about Longing for England, because I've never been there.

July 14, 2017

4 years ago we had just arrived in Idaho, after Curt's retirement from the Air Force.  As great an accomplishment as that was for us, it left a very big void in our hearts.  All we had ever known was the military life, it's who we were it's still who are are, and there are days that I miss it so much that it makes my heart hurt.

But one of the good things about living out in the country now in Texas, but close enough to the Base (relatively speaking, that is), is that I get to still have that kind of military community around me and the jets above. 

July 14, 2017

So a lot of times, I get to *Matar Saudades*, or kill that yearn and that missing feeling of being military and having the jets above us constantly flying.

July 14, 2017

July 14, 2017

I'm blessed enough that I get to experience that even now.  It's almost like living on base again, seeing and hearing them thunder above us as they go about their training sessions. 

July 14, 2017

The sound of Freedom!!!!

July 14, 2017

I often sit outside in the afternoons, with Marley laying near by enjoying the sun. I always have my camera close by because I know they'll be flying right above.

July 14, 2017

I finished Part 8 of the Atlanticus, just in time for the next Part to be released on Monday morning.  It's almost finished, there are 12 Parts all together, so we're almost there.

July 14, 2017

And thank goodness for that because this big boy is getting huge and pretty heavy to carry around.

July 14, 2017

Got another book in the mail today for review. Looks so good, doesn't it? I don't know what it is but some book covers just draw me right in, and it doesn't always mean it's going to be a great book, I've been fooled before by pretty covers and not so good stories. But it's been very few times :)

And speaking of books, I'm moving right along with "I am Resolute" by Nancy E. Turner. Oh my goodness guys, this book is so good, I can't put it down and actually find myself counting down the minutes until I can grab it and get some good reading done without interruptions.

I also just finished Jamestown today and I'm bummed out that I have no more episodes to watch. It is such a good show, if you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it. Speaking of which I need to add it to my Period Drama list of series to watch.

If you're new to my blog and love period dramas, be sure to check out my sidebar for quite a few lists of movies, series, documentaries and even books you may enjoy :)

July 14, 2017

It's been a bit of a busy day today, I got groceries this morning and I have to say it was really nice shopping without the craziness of payday.  It's one reason I so enjoy grocery shopping between paydays, and thankfully that's how hubby's pay has turned out.

Speaking of pay, I also sat down and completely reworked our budget according to the new pay schedule.  We'll be getting a bit less than we thought but that's because we've finally got the taxes figured out so we're not having to pay anything at the end of the year. 

But, we are dead set on paying off our debt as fast as we can and if we stick to our new budget, by next year we will be almost completely debt free.  Can not wait.

Well friends, we had a late lunch so I didn't have to make dinner tonight as no one is up for a big meal so everyone is just eating what they want.  I'm about to have a bowl of my favorite Great Grains Banana Nut Crunch Cereal, watch a little TV with Jasmine and then call it a night. 

Have a ton of yard work to do tomorrow, with all the rain we've had, it's time to mow yet again.

Hope you all have a fantastic Friday night :)

2 comments:

~Carla~ said...

Oh that blanket is absolutely stunning, Sandra! Just lovely! I thought you were teasing us with the first photo and I was like 'Oh, come on!!" Hahaha! Then I saw the photo after it... ;)
I can't wait until we're moved and settled, it's hard having so many "balls up in the air", but we're moving to quite a small town as well, so I'm anxious to see if it will be a lot more calmer than it is here... 500K vs 6K population! Enjoy your weekend!!

Mac n' Janet said...

Beautiful blanket. My husband has been retired from the Army for quite a while, but I know what you mean about missing the community. We have 2 bases near us, Ft.Stewart and Hunter Army Air Field so we still stay in touch.