Saturday, July 29, 2017

{ In all things give thanks }

"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." 
* 1 Thessalonians 5:18 *

_MG_8072

I sat on my couch and looked around the living room.  All my little corners, things here and there that I lovingly set down with the purpose of making it homey.

_MG_8073

Even those things that were just set down without a second thought, like my glasses on the book I'm currently reading.  Pieces of me, of my soul, of my likes and dislikes.

_MG_8074

I like to think of them as small glimpses into my soul, into what makes me tick, what I'm all about. It's these little bits and bobs that will give anyone who enters my home, a bit of an understanding about who I am as a person.

_MG_8077

And surprisingly enough, they also at times serve as a reminder, to myself, about who I am and who I want to be, and more importantly who I want to portray myself as here on earth.  On those days where I'm feeling down or a little lost, it helps to have a visual reminder, to be  able to shift my eyes around the room, from one spot to the other and always see something that is sure to make me smile and feel thankful.

_MG_8078

"In all things give thanks".  This verse seems to pop into my mind quite frequently, it's almost as if God is sending me little hints, reminding me of what really matters, and it's not the little things that bother us, like the fact that I feel like I can't catch a break from laundry, or the nagging allergies that out of the blue hit me like a ton of bricks, or maybe the potty accident that Marley once again had in the house.

_MG_8079

And I do, I really do give thanks in everything in my life and whatever is going on around me, even the hard moments because they're learning moments,even if we don't see them at the time.

_MG_8080


_MG_8081

I am so thankful, so blessed.  I have a beautiful family, a husband who loves me and respects me, beautiful children, we are all healthy, we have adorable pets and a beautiful big house.

_MG_8082

Our pantry and fridge are full, we have water and electricity, a roof over our heads and a permanent stable source of income.

_MG_8083

Every single thing in this house, was bought by us, or gifted to us out of love, or handmade by either my husband or I.  Even the big yards have been worked on by our own hands.  Hours upon hours in the scorching sun, blisters on the hands, and annoying prickly weeds stuck to our fingers and shoes.

_MG_8085

_MG_8086


 _MG_8089

_MG_8091


_MG_8094

Even in those moments when I'm tired and sweaty and clammy, and really disliking being outside, I find that the minute I step into my home, it all disappears, and I'm once again awash with gratitude.

It wasn't always this easy for me, but for a couple of years I have tried extremely hard to live a life of gratitude, to practice daily thanksgiving, and it's changed my outlook on life completely.  It's become second nature, the minute something good happens, whatever it may be, big or small, I immediately thank the Lord, without even thinking about it, it just slips right out of my mouth "Thank you Father, thank you so much".


8 comments:

Lulu said...

what a beautiful post

Simply Quaint said...

I agree, a beautiful post.......as for myself I look at my whole life how it started, where I was, and who I am now.....I'm thankful beyond words.....I'm at peace with my life....it's a easy simple, quite life I wouldn't want any other way......it's wonderful to read that you're in a happy place as well.....

Blessings
Rhonda

Sandra said...

Thank you so much Lulu :)

Susanne said...

Love this post! Having a developed, habitual attitude of gratitude is so important to get us through the tougher times. It's easy to find things to be thankful for when everything is going our way but it's in those tough times when we still look for the good things that character is developed.

Love how you described the little bits and things around your home and how they reflect you!

Lynn said...

Beautiful photos of your home. Your family is blessed to have you too.

Elizabeth said...

I am grateful to you Sandra for creating and sharing this blog of your life, and your inspiring ways of coping with it! Your many pictures has been wonderful. I've enjoyed reading it for many years, felt part of your highs and lows...celebrating with you and wishing to comfort during the difficult times. Thank you for your Diary of a SAHM, dear Lady! :)

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

What a beautiful life you lead my dear. Choosing to be thankful has no doubt made a major difference. I need to do it more intentionally. We never know just how much life we have left. Even if it's not what we wish it were, it is what we have, so we must be thankful. God bless!
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Sandi said...

So much to be thankful for!

Family
Health...

What else is there?