Saturday, July 22, 2017

{ The Alpacas have moved in }

July 22, 2017

July 22, 2017

July 22, 2017

My Saturday started much the same as any other day, with some cleaning, tidying, laundry and getting things ready for some mowing out back.

Around 10:30, Curt and I headed out to pick up a few things, mainly we needed some weed killer and wasp killer as well.  The wasps have been relentless around here and even though we get rid of all their nests, within a day there's wasps flying about looking to start another.  It's frustrating, and it doesn't really make us want to stay out there in the garden.

July 22, 2017

July 22, 2017

Our first stop was at The Tractor Supply, which since moving to Texas, has become one of our favorite places to pop in on a Saturday morning.  We grabbed both the weed and the wasp killer and then decided to go by Walmart to see what they had in the garden center.

Some of their plants and herbs were on sale, so I immediately grabbed some Basil because I LOVE it so much.  I think it's one of my most used herbs and there is nothing like fresh basil on a homemade pasta sauce.

I had that old bucket sitting around and thought the basil would look gorgeous in it, so Curt drilled some holes on the bottom for drainage and I planted it in there.  I will show you tomorrow what it looks like.

July 22, 2017

We also grabbed two Aloe Plants.

When we lived in Arizona, we had a few in the house, and we used them quite often for sunburn or even the occasional burn while cooking.

July 22, 2017

We had them for quite a few years and they even made the trip from Arizona to Idaho when Curt retired, but the long trip, and the moving around in the two years we were in Idaho, must have just been too much for them.  They didn't survive to make it to Texas with us.

We've missed having Aloe around since then so finally got these two.

Back at home, I popped some pizza in the oven, got the kitchen all cleaned up and got the plants and herbs into their respective pots.  Oh I picked up some sweet peppermint too, but totally forgot to photograph it.  I'll have to show you all the plants tomorrow :)

July 22, 2017

Then we noticed all the commotion going on across the street.  A few weeks ago I mentioned this house that has been vacant, and then had a couple of people buy it and move out right away.  We often joked amongst us that it must be haunted.

Remember I even took pictures of the fire trucks outside, when the new owner tried to burn some branches?

Well let me tell you, she is determined to get this property looking like new again, and she's been hard at work.  Hadn't seen this house and it's yards looking as good as they are starting to.

July 22, 2017

They've been hard at work for weeks, and today, this tractor worked for hours on end, from morning to about 6pm, clearing tons of grass, weeds, and other overgrown vegetation which was about as high as the tractor itself, if not higher.  No one has ever mowed the property in the 2 years we've been in this house.

July 22, 2017

But what we did notice that got me quite excited, was that they have Alpacas, 3 big ones.  They are so cute, and I'm hoping to be able to capture some great photos.

For now, I'm enjoying watching the progress as this property comes to life, and I really am wondering what she's going to do with the acreage she has.

July 22, 2017

While sitting out front watching the Alpacas and the mowing, I also enjoyed the different animals that call my garden their home.  Like this cool looking grasshopper, and the beautiful butterfly just fluttering around.

July 22, 2017

July 22, 2017

I came back in after a while and got right to dinner making.  One of our favorites and easiest meals ever to prepare.  Corned Beef Hash and we had some mixed veggies to go with it.

I did have a bit of a craving for something sweet, so quickly threw together a Coffee Cake.  It's one of those recipes that are quick to throw together but taste like a million dollars.

The recipe will be up on the food blog tomorrow and I'll share the link with you, don't worry.  But for now, you can go ahead and drool over the picture, just be sure to wipe the monitor off when you're done.  Haha

July 22, 2017

I ended off my night with a few rounds on Part 2 of the Sweet Caroline Pillow.  It's a great way to relax after a long busy day.

July 22, 2017

I didn't get to watch much on TV today, though I did catch one episode of Game of Thrones.  Would you believe me if I told you I have only watched Season 1?  Curt hadn't watched it at all either, but got completely caught up to the latest season a few weeks ago.  He is now waiting for me and we're going to let the new season finish up, then binge watch it together.

I just wish I had more time in the day to watch things, I feel like more often than not, it takes me a whole day to get through one single episode, because of the constant interruptions.

Anyway, that was my Saturday.  I don't have anything planned for tomorrow, other than we want to get the small flower bed cleared out and the mulch in, we didn't get around to it today.

Well the yawning has set in and I think that's my cue to get to bed.  It's quite pathetic that I'm falling asleep at 9:30pm on a Saturday night, but in my defense, I do get up early every day, even on weekends, I've never been one to sleep in.

I'm heading to bed before I fall asleep at the computer.  Good night :)

2 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

If I can convince Hubby, I'd love to raise at least two alpaca for the wool. Or a meat cow. We have the land, barn, and fencing already. We have many big projects to finish first.

Sandra said...

I was telling my hubby that I would love to get some alpacas too, we have 3 acres of land so space is not an issue and would LOVE to get the wool. We have so many projects we are working on at the moment too :)