Sunday, June 01, 2014

Crochet and Yumminess!

Mandala Love

Good morning friends, happy Sunday!

It is such a gorgeous day, not a cloud in sight and the bluest of skies.  I am just finishing my coffee and even still in my pj's, being kinda lazy because I know I have another day of packing and moving.

Oh joy!

I just keep telling myself that it's a blessing to be able to move slowly and take our time, but nevertheless, I am still looking forward to being done and settled into the new house.

I have been stealing moments here and there, trying to occupy myself with things that I love, namely family, crochet and food, of course.

Mandala

I have always said that no matter what is going on around us, we need to take some time to recharge and do the things we love.

Crochet has been a big part of my life, it's relaxing, it's what I turn to on an especially hard day, but it's not always easy to find the time to sit down and hook something up.

So, I do most of my crocheting at night, while sitting in front of the TV with the family.

Last night, we sat down to watch some Star Trek.  We really are a family of Science and Science fiction nerds, we just love it.  I do believe the hubby and I have watched most of the Star Trek series out there, and there are quite a few, but our latest is Star Trek Voyager.

While we watched a few episodes, I just relaxed and crocheted, and before I knew it, I had these two beautiful mandalas to take to the new house.  They will be my first crochet project specifically made for my home.

Mandala

The one above, I made from a photograph of a doily I found on a Dutch website. Oh my goodness, it was quite an adventure and I had to wing it and rip out and redo a couple rows until I got it just right. But I'm so happy with the results.

This next one is my favorite though, and it was so quick to make, I will be making more today.

Little Spring Mandala

The Little Spring Mandala, did have a pattern, and you can try it for yourself here.

The colors were completely unintentional, and by that I mean that I didn't sit down and plan which color I would be using next.

I have a few different colored cotton yarn scraps laying around, I'm trying to use them up, so I literally would just reach into the bag and whatever came out is what I used. So happy with the end result though, the bursts of color in these mandalas is amazing.

So that is the crochet I've been doing.....oh and I'm making something else, here is a sneak peek:

Sneak Peek

I haven't just been crocheting, I have also been indulging in some yummy food from back home in South Africa.

On Friday night I had my family come over for dinner, and I prepared some typical delicious South African treats.

Our dinner started with some Vetkoek with Curried Mince.  Vetkoek are almost like a donut and can be eaten with savory fillings or sweet fillings such as jam or custard or whatever you wish.  But we really like the curried mince (ground beef).

Vetkoek with Curried Mince

After filling our tummies with those, we made sure to leave some room for the traditional Malva Pudding and Melktert. Oh goodness, they are SO good.

Malva Pudding

Malva Pudding almost reminds me of the Sticky Toffee Pudding, which is just as delicious.

Melktert

Then of course the Melktert (Milktart) which is to die for. It creates it's own crust, it's almost like the Impossibly Easy Pie or Blender pie recipe.

All three recipes will be up on the blog sometime today, I'm hoping.  I have quite a few recipes that need to be posted, but just haven't had the time.

Now I really need to get up, get dressed, do some dishes, start a load of laundry, fold one load that just came out of the dryer, and get the truck loaded for another run to the house.

I hope you all have a beautiful blessed Sunday.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

You are so talented with your crochet- it is gorgeous!

Jackie said...

Beautiful mandalas! What cheerful colors. :)