Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Red Phone Box - TLC Book Tour


Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Ghostwoods Books (November 30, 2013)

Sinister forces roam London’s streets, skulking through the neon-lit rain. They are not alone. Haunted by memories of the man who abandoned her, Amber Goodman goes walking in the deep night. The phone box she enters takes her on a journey she could never have imagined, one in which the past and the future will be rewritten. Others follow in her footsteps, their lives intertwining, and the fate of the world hanging on their dance. Safran, pawn of unfathomable powers. Jon, who has lived and died and lived again. Gloria, who only intended to annoy her daddy. Cory, from a different world, on a desperate quest for allies. They and others will find themselves swept up as the playthings of gods who have managed to get along peacefully for millennia — until now.

********************************************

My Thoughts:

So, first and foremost, the reason this book jumped out at me, was because of the Phone Box. Being such a huge Doctor Who fan, I couldn't simple let a book with such an awesome cover slip by my fingers.

But it wasn't just the cover that pulled me in, the fact that it's a time traveling phone box, might just,  maybe, alright definitely have sealed the deal.

The story takes place in London and Amber is the first to step into this phone box, followed by a number of other characters, each being transported here and there and facing different situations.

I think what I most like about this book is that it is a number of different stories, some shorter than others, and all told by different authors, so you really do get a myriad of writing styles which make for quite an interesting read....but here's the fun part, it's like a bunch of puzzle pieces that do end up making the bigger picture.  

At times I almost felt like I was reading one of those fun mystery books we would have as kids, where you get to pick the ending and then go on to that page and the story takes off from there.  I will say that some stories were more interesting than others, maybe it was the characters involved that were more memorable or maybe the fact that there were so many different characters coming in and out that some tend to get lost in space.

Whatever it was, I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and I will tell you that I wasn't sure I would because as much as I was curious and looking forward to reading it, I had read some not so favorable reviews which left me wondering if I would make it to the end of the book.

I did, and I'm glad I did, it was quite a fun read, never really knowing what was going on, sometimes left mystified and wondering what had just happened.  Fun indeed.  

Thank you to TLC Book Tours for providing me with a review copy. 


3 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Looks like an interesting read...thanks for the review. Did you read a hard copy or E-book? Thanks and have a good day.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being a part of the tour!

Salomé said...

Thanks for taking the time to read and review the book, Sandra. I'm really glad you enjoyed it.