Wednesday, February 05, 2014

And down it comes......

Snowy day

Slowly, whizzing around the sky, sometimes slow, sometimes fast, but always there.

Snowy birdhouse

Remember when I was back in Arizona and I used to say that I missed the snow??  And that I missed the cold weather, and the different seasons??

Well......I missed, and missed being the key word, because at the moment I'm quite sick of it and ready for it to go away.  LOL

Quite easy to forget the cold and the gloomy skies and how irritating the snow can get, isn't it?

Crocheting

But one thing I'll say, it does make for some great snuggling and crocheting time.

Just look at how big my blanket is getting?  I'm so in love with it, the colors, the squares so simple but so pretty when lined up and joined, and the joining method.....oh it's scrummy, my favorite yet.

January

January is now finished and it's a huge blanket already.  According to it's current size, to fit my queen bed, I'll only have to go until March, so basically a 3 month blanket, which leaves me plenty of time to start another and if I make one this size every 3 months, I'll have 4 beautiful crochet blankets by the end of the year.

January

Oh the possibilities, I'm super excited about this.  The next ones will be completely different patterns and different colors, one will be for my girl and one for my boy and two will be for my bed.  :)

This morning before the snow started coming down, hubby and I ran out for some errands.

You know the funny thing is that even though things are not easy right now, we are loving all the moments we spend together.  Grocery shopping at the nearest base commissary has become like a date, we head out, make a few stops here and there, grab the groceries, grab a little lunch and then come home.

It helps so much to be able to have these alone moments to reconnect, to talk, to exchange ideas and to come up with a game plan for our lives and what is up ahead of us.

It also keeps us grounded and when one of us is feeling especially stressed or overwhelmed, the other steps in and talks and calms and brings the other back to reality and to the fact that we ARE doing ok and much better than others out there.  We need to keep remembering that.

Homeschooling on a snowy day

This is what my living room looked like this afternoon during school time.  4 kiddos, super cold, trying to stay warm under their blankets while doing their work.

Is there anything better than doing school this way?  Makes me wish that homeschooling was an option while I was growing up, I would have loved this.

Library books

Now, I'm sitting in bed waiting on Ghost Hunters to start.  Hubby has gone out to fetch the kids from Tae Kwon Do and I have this wonderful stack of library books sitting next to me.

We stopped at the library this morning and of course, as usual, I grabbed enough books to fill my arms with, because you know, you can never have just one.

On my stack is:

Great Depression Cookbook by Mark Nichols
I love history and I am particularly interested and curious about the Great Depression and how so many families survived through such hard times.  I'll be telling you more about this book as I get into it, but here is the dedication which I found very fitting....

Dedicated to you individuals who are not too proud to stoop and snatch up a dime lying on a sidewalk.

Heirloom Baking with the Brass Sisters
The 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipes
Williams-Sonoma Cooking Together
Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day
We had everything but Money - Priceless memories of the great depression
Unexpected Afghans
The Tattered Quilt by Wanda Brunstetter

A little bit of everything in there, some historic goodies, some cooking and baking, some crocheting and even some Amish fiction.  I do believe I have enough to entertain me for a while.

Now it's time to get started on my square for today and get reading.

Have a blessed night friends!

7 comments:

Mari said...

I have to say that I'm quite sick of winter too, but it is a good time to stay in and connect with each other.
Your pictures are so cozy and I love the blanket!
Praying things get easier for you!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

If I lived up north with all of that cold, snowy, gray winter weather, I'd be going nuts. A few gray days down here and I start feeling down and so ready for sunshine. Hang in there, pretty soon the sun will be shining and things will be bursting forth from the earth and starting to bloom. Hmmm. Right now, this is where you are, sort of in the dark, with having to move, the job situation, etc. but pretty soon things will change and bloom. God works all things out.

I'm glad you have those 'date' moments with your husband. They are precious and priceless.

I love your blanket. What is the pattern for joining the squares?

Happy living, loving, creating, cooking and baking one day at a time.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

Debby said...

LOVE, love, love your blanket!!! Alone time with your hubby even if it is at the grocery is so important, glad you guys are in it together!! Can't wait to hear about the books you picked up, sounds like ones I too would like. Take care and stay warm spring will be here soon

Renee said...

Your blanket is gorgeous and I love the picture of the kids all warm and cozy doing school. I live in an area without much snow so I am still "missing" it. :) Take care!

Unknown said...

I too treasure those grocery store moments when we have the chance to go just the two of us! Seems like something so small, but it means the world!

gillyflower said...

Your crochet blanket is really getting big now, and its gorgeous! I love the white connecting crochet, it leaves such a pretty edge.
Looks like you have plenty of good books to keep you occupied - happy reading!
Gill xx

Deb J. in Utah said...

We used to live in Utah and the winters got us down too so that is a big reason we now live in Arizona. That being said, we are now thinking seriously about moving back up north so we may be in the midst of snowy winters again some day...I always love to see what you are reading. You choose the same kinds of books I love. Your afghan is great. Wish I had time to crochet more. Have a good weekend!