Thursday, November 29, 2012

Cooking Thursday - Zippy Dogs


Good morning everyone, here we are, another Thursday, another day closer to the weekend, and yet another week that just flew right on by.

Today I have to work on my menu plan for the next two weeks and I'm going to be making a few slow cooker recipes, so I'll be able to share those with you here.

On to today's recipe.


Zippy Dogs

2 cups ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 T. apple cider vinegar
2 T. dried minced onions
1/2 t. black pepper
1/3 cup sweet pickle relish
16 hot dogs, halved- I like the uncured kind
16 hot dog buns, halved

In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix the first 6 ingredients.

Bring to a simmer and add the hot dogs. Simmer 20 minutes with the lid off until sauce is thick and hot dogs cooked through.

Place the Zippy Dogs in the buns and place on a platter. Serve the extra sauce on the side. Makes 32 Zippy Dogs.

NOTE: I halved the recipe because 32 dogs is just way too much for us, I ended up with 16 which is enough for our family of four, plus leftovers for the next day's lunch.



4 comments:

Mari said...

Yum! These look so easy and good too!

Jenna Smith said...

Wow-these sound so yummy! My husband and son would love them...going on the menu next week!

Unknown said...

Mmmmm, comfort food. My family will love these. Thank you for the recipe!

Anna said...

YEA! Zippy Dogs! This was the recipe we "met" on. We used to eat these all the time (I would make them in the slow cooker).