Thursday, August 30, 2012

Cooking Thursday - Homemade Beef Jerky

And we're back to Thursday again, my word, I know I say it all the time but seriously, time needs to SLOW down.




Homemade Beef Jerky

Easy Homemade Beef Jerky

2 lbs of beef
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
3 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon honey
liquid smoke (you only need a drop or so, it's very strong)
garlic powder
onion powder
1 jalapeno pepper


Slice the jalapeno pepper up.  Be careful please, use gloves and wash hands very well afterwards.  You don't need to be precise, just rough slice it up and add it to a bowl.

Grate in the garlic cloves.   Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well, then add in the sliced beef.

Give it all a good stir, then pour into a ziploc bag and refrigerate overnight.

The next morning, lay out the beef strips on your dehydrator trays.  Crack a little bit more black pepper on top and set it on LOW for 6 or 7 hours.

My dehydrator is really old, it doesn't have a low or high setting, just an on/off button.  I turn it on and walk away for 6 hours or so.

Check on it often, rotate the trays.  Remember that the outer edges dry quicker than the inner ones.  If need be rotate the beef pieces as well, move the outer ones to the inside and the inside ones to the other edges to dry.

When done, remove the jerky and enjoy :)





2 comments:

Mari said...

I don't have a dehydrator, but I'm sure my hubby would love this!

Carol said...

I usually use ground beef to make my jerky, but I am definitely trying your method! I swear just my three-year-old could eat her way through a batch in a day, so I am always making it.