Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Because sometimes it's nice to say hello

You know that moment when you read through your last blog posts and realize that it's all just mainly weekly features, and nothing very personal???

Well I don't want you to think that I'm straying again, so I thought that I would come in this morning and just sit with you all.

Offer you a cup of coffee?  Maybe some fresh bread with a nice slather of butter?

How about some chit chat?

Let's catch up on what has been going on in our respective households.

Homeschooling started last week and so far we've been doing well.  Nicholas is a little harder to deal with because he loathes school and especially writing, so anytime Language Arts pops up, he literally deflates.  LOL

We're working on getting him a little more interested in writing, so if any of you homeschool mama's out there have some ideas, please, shoot them my way....I am ALL ears.

Jasmine is doing really well, she loves school, she loves writing, and math and science, so she thrives when schooling begins.   Though I have to tell you, her 8th grade math scares the bejeepers out of me....good grief.


Hubby is still working 12 hour shifts, which are just emotionally and physically draining, especially when you throw in weekend duty too.  I believe we're both starting to feel like walking zombies.  Another reason why retirement is looking better and better by the minute.

He has a Speech CLEP today, and if he passes that one, he will have his Associates Degree.  Next week he starts College Classes to work towards his Bachelors.  He'll be taking 3 classes so it will be hard work, long hours, and a lot of family time sacrifice.  It's not easy, but it's doable and we all know that it's what is best for us, especially with him getting out next year.





As for me, well, I'm just here.  Doing the usual housework, crafting, or teaching children.   I'm trying to keep everything running smoothly, which sometimes is not easy with everyone doing their own thing and people needing support and help in different things.

But hey, it's my job and one which I love and take seriously.

I've been doing a lot of reading too.  I'm filling up my Kindle like there's no tomorrow, but don't ask me if I'll ever get around to reading the hundreds of books on there.  Honestly, I don't think I'll ever see that list dwindle as I just keep adding and adding LOL   I'm addicted to books, so I can't resist a free one.

My latest reads are the Kauffman Amish Bakery Series by Amy Clipston.  I'm on book 2 and I'm really enjoying it.  Just need to get hold of the last book, #5 and the series is complete. 

What have you been reading?  Any suggestions for me?  I do love a good Amish book, but I'm a huge Historical Fiction fan too, come to think of it, I think I just love books in general, if they keep my interest.

I've started coming around and saying hi to everyone, haven't been able to do that as often as I would like, but there are so many of you that it will surely take me a while.  I'll have to do it in spurts, in between laundry changes, or meal making.

See, nothing major exciting has been going on here.

Matter of fact, right now, I'm about to sign off and go make the menu plan for the next two weeks, write up a grocery list, put away laundry, do another load of dishes, turn on the sprinkler out back, clean the yard out front a bit, check the mail from yesterday and get the kid's lessons ready.

I do hope you're all having a good start to this week and that you have a wonderful day today :)

God Bless,




8 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought this might be helpful for the BOY :)

http://www.melissaforney.com/sites/default/files/pdf/YoungWritersSurvivalKit2009.pdf

Emily doesn't hate writing (it's math she loathes) but she is still a timid writer, afraid to express herself.

Hope this helps!

Sherry

Pendleton Primitives said...

Oh we know those long zombie shifts but it's almost over for us. The husband left in civilian clothes this morning for his retirement course.....so, not too much longer. He will be in 20 years next March and then we are done. I homeschooled for a short while while my daughter underwent surgery (she's hearing impaired) because the schools thought she was a behavior problem when really, she just couldn't hear them. Ugh. Meal plans for two weeks! I'm lucky if I can plan a days worth :) well, it's time for a diaper change so you take care and have a productive day.
~Christina

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Sandra,

Well running a household smoothly and throwing homeschool in the mix is a full time job with overtime, so I'd say there's alot going on there. :)

It's math that Joy hates. But have you thought about letting him start a blog (closely supervised by you of course). Sometimes if they have a fun reason to write with an audience is more fun! We like Bravewriter too. Joy just took a class online.

Blessings,
Tammy

Naomi said...

I'm sure you get twice as much done in a day as I manage to. I don't know how you are so organised AND motivated. I guess I'm still quite new to being a stay at home mum but man I wish I could find the hours in a day to get through a list like yours ( and the willpower to see it through)!

On a separate note I love love love your new blog header, it's soo pretty :)
xxx

Unknown said...

Hi there! I've never commented on your blog, but I rather enjoy reading it. I'm an AF wife, homeschooling mom who loves me some Jesus. We are on the brink of retirement here. We hit 18 years last month and the thought of retirement is so exciting. We are in Japan now, but will probably go over 20 so that we can retire stateside per hubby's request. Okay, enough about me. 8)
I, too, have a boy (9) who loathes Language Arts. I have found that the longer I put it off in the school day the worse it gets. We meet at the table every morning for breakfast, daily Proverb, Who is God?, and prayer. We do his L.A. right after that so that Mom is in the right frame of mind, and his attitude is gentler. I can see that he has a sense of accomplishment and the 'battle' is done for the day. As you know homeschooling is not always perfect, but I do see a greater peace in him and in our day when we accomlish this. Give it a try and see if a simple schedule change might make a difference.
Keep typing---I'm reading!
Lacey

Susanne said...

I admire that your hubby is taking on school while working these hard shifts.

I just finished a book called Song of the Brokenhearted by Sheila Walsh that was really good. But it's a contemporary story. Ann H. Gabhart's novels revolving around the Shakers are really good.

Amanda said...

Hi Sandra :) Well we started back homeschooling here 2 weeks ago, but missed most of last week between DD being sick and then passing it on to me. We are all finally well, and back in the swing of things this week. DD loves all things school related so I blessed that way. DH has been busy working, and I am anxiously awaiting the next few weeks when the salmonberries ripen here, quickly followed by blueberries and ligonberries. That is my favorite time of year. I love your blog. Stop by for a chat sometime.

-Amanda

www.beringseaadventures.blogspot.com

Suellen Roley said...

I'm not a mom or a homeschooler, but I have an idea for your son anyway. Is there something he does like that he'd like to learn more about? Have him research whatever it is and then write about what he found.

I write for a (meager) living, and although most of what I write about is assigned to me (I have no input into the topics) I swear I've learned something new from every single assignment I've done (and believe me, I range all over the place from airsoft guns to work at home tips to home improvement to large-size womens' apparel and everywhere in between).

Tomorrow I learn if walking a mile in 90+ heat will kill me or not. I did the same thing last week only it wasn't planned beforehand. I simply refuse to take two buses to an office that is a mile down the street from me!