Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunday

It's so hot outside, and I mean extremely hot to the point where we had to run some errands on Friday and actually felt sick inside the truck.

It was 3pm and the truck was registering 122 degrees.  GROSS!

So Friday afternoon we had an appointment at a local library for Nicholas' DIBELS test, they're usually done over the phone but the first one of the year they like to do it one on one, to get a better reading from the kids.

He did extremely well, we're so proud of him.  By the end of 3rd grade the benchmark for reading is 110, Nicholas is reading 180 words per minute.  YAY!   The teacher was so impressed with him, she couldn't say enough about how well he read, how well he expressed himself and what a great memory he has when retelling the story and the details.

I think for me, it was a huge relief to know he's doing so well but it also made me stop and realize that I should be proud of myself too.  You have no idea how many times I've questioned if I'm doing the right thing by homeschooling, I keep wondering if I'm maybe not teaching them the right way or not explaining it well or not giving them what they need, so when I see results like this it brings it all home for me.

I AM a proud homeschooling mama and my children are thriving and I couldn't be happier.

So onto what we've done this weekend, like I said with the horrible heat wave we've been enduring, we've spent the whole weekend inside.

2011_08280021

I started the morning early, while the household was asleep I got two loaves of bread started.....the one above is a simple artisan type bread baked in a bowl in the oven.   The other one is another artisan type bread but that one has been sitting on the counter almost the whole day and tomorrow morning I just gotta switch it to a cast iron pan and bake it in the oven.  Can't wait for fresh warm bread for breakfast.

There was some laundry and some usual housecleaning, and some lesson planning while I enjoyed my morning coffee.........

2011_08280027

Lunch time came quickly around though, I don't know about you all but it just seems to me that there are not enough hours in the day to get everything done, I'm always busy and I'm never really free for much time.

I figured for lunch to keep it simple so I made some Grilled Cheese and Bacon Sandwiches which I've been making for years and it's one of the family's favorite....simple but yet so so good.

2011_08280016

In the afternoon, while the last load of laundry was going, I was able to start a new project.

I got the Mabel pillow to make but Lordy, it has stumped me. I'm on the 5th row and completely confused, I had to do it and pull it apart and redo it and pull it apart a couple of times, it started getting extremely frustrating and the picture doesn't really help me see the stitches either.....so I set it aside and went with something easier for now.

After seeing Lucy's Blooming Pillow I knew I had to make one for myself.

2011_08280034

This one works up pretty fast, but just like Lucy explained, it's definitely a trial and error pattern and a counting a stitch here and there and knowing when to increase and when not to.

2011_08280035

It's coming along just fine though, I'm loving it already.

Rest of the day was the usual, folded mountains of laundry on my bed while watching a movie......Life as we know it. It was so cute, I enjoyed it :)

Dinner was a twist on the usual Baked Spaghetti....

2011_08280044

And now, here I am, 9:30pm and tired and thinking that I should go to bed but I may just pick up my book The Star Garden and read a little more.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and have a really good week ahead.

God Bless,

XXXXX

No comments: