Sunday, January 09, 2011

My Crafty Corner - Crochet Edging Pillowcase

2011_01090018

I had some fabric laying around a few months ago, and made this quick pillowcase for Jasmine, she loved it.

I do too but I've always felt like it was missing something, just SOMETHING.  Then it hit me, I've seen crochet edging done around napkins and tablecloths and even pillowcases.

That's what I decided to go with, a very simple scalloped edging around the opening of the pillowcase.

2011_01090006

I did a simple basic blanket stitch all the way around, about 1/2 inch space between each stitch.

2011_01090009

This was the hardest part for me because I seem to have misplaced my largest needle so ended up trying desperately to fit thick yarn through a tiny eye.  What a PAIN!

2011_01090010

You wanna make sure that you don't end up with all these knots all over your work, so when cutting the yarn for the blanket stitch, cut a length that is about 15 times the width of your pillow.  TRUST ME.

I learned this trick a very long time ago when I kept running out of yarn in my projects and kept having to restart and it just made it look messy.  After researching around through various books I found this advice and have followed it ever since....never ran out of yarn again.  It WILL be a bit of a pain though cause it's super long and you have to pull and pull and pull.  You get the picture.

2011_01090013

After the blanket stitch was done, I did a single crochet stitch all the way around, doing 3 single crochet stitches in every blanket stitch, or at least that's what mine worked out to.

Then do a scallop edge.  One single crochet in the first sc stitch, then skip two stitches, 5 double crochets into the next stitch, skip two stitches, one single crochet, skip two, 5 double crochets and so on.  Repeat until done.

2011_01090016

I love it, I think it gives it such a sweet touch and it only took me about 30 minutes from beginning to end and that is mainly due to the whole threading of the needle thing.

I'm going to go through my fabric stash and make a whole bunch more pillows, but I need to use sturdier fabric, I don't like how it curls a little and doesn't fall exactly flat where the blanket stitch sits.

If you decide to try it yourself, I hope you'll come back and show me :)

No comments: