Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My Crafty Corner - African Flower

2010_12280002

As I've said many times before, Crocheting is extremely therapeutic for me and right now I'm going through some family issues that have me needing some relaxation and something to keep my mind off the stresses.

2010_12280009

I've found myself crocheting every single day, pretty much making a project a day and I am loving it.

2010_12280003

This next project is one that I've seen floating around and have wanted to try for a while, I think what first drew me to it aside from the fact that it's gorgeous, is the fact that it's from South Africa and was first featured in Afrikaans in one of the South African magazines, Sarie.

2010_12280004

Someone already translated it so I didn't have to do it for you guys, thankfully cause I'm afraid I would have messed something up and not done the pattern justice.

Super Super quick to make and they turn out just beautiful.

2010_12280006

African Flower 

1st Round: Chain 5 stitches and join with slip stitch to form a ring.
2nd Round: Chain 3 (count as first dc), 1 dc in ring, (1 chain stitch, 2 db in ring) 5 times, 1 chain stitch, join with slip stitch to first dc (6 shells).
3rd Round: Join next colour and crochet in each of the 6 chain spaces: (2 dc, 1 chain stitch, 2dc). Join with slip stitch to first dc.
4th Round: Join next colour and crochet 7 dc in each of the 5 chain spaces. Join with slip stitch to first dc.
5th Round: Join next colour and crochet 1 sc in each of the next 7 dc, except between the 2 dc of the third row where you do a dc which you join to the 3rd round in order to form the petal - (7 sc and 1 dc) 6 times.
6th Round: Join next colour and crochet 1 dc in each sc, except for the middle of each petal where you crochet (1 dc,1 sc, 1dc) in each petal. Tie off.

*dc: double crochet, sc: single crochet

If you're more of a visual person, then I would suggest following Heidi's tutorial which can be found here.  Very helpful!

2010_12280007

2010_12280008

Now the directions I'm giving you are JUST for the inside flower, the rest of the pattern comes from Crochet with Raymond, she turned these into Potholders, so just follow her directions for that.

2010_12280010

As always, if you decide to make some for yourself, I would love to see them :)

No comments: