Sunday, November 21, 2010

To Hibernate or not????

Why does society feel that in order to have a good weekend and spend time with your family, you need to go out and spend money?  You need to go eat at a restaurant, or go to a movie, or waste gas driving  somewhere where you'll end up spending more money all in the name of a good time.

I've received quite a few emails since my post yesterday about my family hibernating this weekend.  People genuinely surprised and thankful for the idea.  I honestly don't think I'm doing anything that fascinating but I guess I am LOL

A couple also wanted to know what we did this weekend and if we enjoyed it.

The whole point of this weekend hibernation was to shut out the outside world, to not spend money on anything and to just make do with what we had.  We didn't do any work, I didn't do any unnecessary housework, we just hung out, watched movies together, read on our own, pigged out on treats and snacks, ate delicious bowls of yummy soup, some stayed up late, some went to bed early.

We relaxed, plain and simple.  No stresses, no phones ringing or cellphones beeping.....just relaxed.

Honestly, we all enjoyed it so much that I think this will become a monthly deal.  One weekend a month to ourselves, to work on the family bond and closeness, to devote to US.  I don't think it's asking for much and quite frankly, it's a lot cheaper than going out looking for things to do for fun.

So here's a brief look at today:

:::: rain.....for a minute. 
2010_11210003

::: you may think I'm exaggerating but I'm really not.  It came down hard and it came down brief, it was a minute maybe two and then it was gone.
2010_11210004


2010_11210005

:::: spent some time on my laptop, catching up on blog reading, facebooking, working on menus, paying bills etc.
2010_11210006

::::: toys thrown here and there.  I usually get so frustrated but this weekend I tried to let it go and surprisingly, I am ok and the world didn't fall apart.
2010_11210008

::::: cuddled under a blanket with a hot cup of coffee watching Television
2010_11210010

:::::: Aside from a movie with the family here and there, my little one spent many hours playing in his room, using his imagination
2010_11210011

I feel recharged and ready to face another week. 

Why don't you give it a try with your family and let me know how it went.  You'll be surprised how restored your soul feels after a weekend like this.

No comments: