Sunday, January 04, 2009

It's been a LONG time since I've slept in

rain Pictures, Images and Photos

I don't even think my body knows that it's an option, it's so used to slipping out of bed in the wee hours of the morning and moving in a daze for the first hour OR until that first sip of hot coffee hits the taste buds.

But we've been going to bed super late and I think our bodies just finally collapsed. All I know is that it started raining last night and it hasn't stopped yet, and somehow the sound of the raindrops on the window and the roof paired with the exhausted body, made for a sleep in.....until 9:55 am. WOW!

The only reason I got out of bed is because my body started hurting, my sciatica kicked in and it was just painful to lay in bed. So I got up with a big smile on my face and feeling completely refreshed, it's funny how you forget just what a good night's sleep can do for you soul.

So here I am, with my hot cup of coffee and my toast slathered in Homemade Butter. I tell you, I don't think I'll ever again go without homemade butter in my house. Every bite I take transports me back in time, this is like sitting around the kitchen table with my great grandmother, watching her with her Butter Dish, with every bite of the bread she took, the knife would instantly move back to get some more and she would cover every inch of her bread.

At the time I thought "why are you doing that?" but now it's one of those guilty pleasures of mine, sort of like a way to reconnect with her. I will sit on the kitchen table and repeat her actions and smile, it's like I can feel her with me, probably laughing at what I'm doing.

So yesterday I tried to watch Helen of Troy and I did not like it at all. It's weird because I'm a huge fan of movies and series like that but this one, UGH....I didn't even make it through the first disc and have already removed the rest from my Netflix Queue, what a waste of time.

I guess I'll spend a bit today adding more stuff to the Queue and by the way, if you know of any series or shows I would like, let me know. Anything like Anne of Green Gables, Road to Avonlea, Mcleod's Daughters, Christy etc. Bring on the suggestions!

I'm off to do some cleaning around here and maybe just maybe, snuggle up on the couch and watch a movie.

I hope you're having a great Sunday, stay warm, stay safe and God Bless......I'll leave you with this song, I first heard it on Grey's Anatomy and immediately fell in love with it, I think for me it's not just the melody but the words....

"All of these lines across my face
Tell you the story of who I am
So many stories of where I've been
And how I got to where I am"

"you see the smile it's on my mouth
it's hiding the words that don't come out
all of my friends who think that I'm blessed
they don't know my head is a mess
No, they don't know who I really am
and they don't know what I've been through like you do"

I hope it makes you smile like it does me.

13 comments:

Mari said...

Sleeping in is good for a person once in a while! Enjoy your day!

Jen said...

You slept in??? I'm envious of this...havent done it in years....I mean maybe to 8am...but would love to do it again someday.

Elizabeth said...

Good for you, sleepin' in...I'll bet the kidddos wondered what was wrong with mom!

Have you watched the Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth? Or Jane Eyre with Timothy Dalton (before he made the James Bond films). Those are two I can think of that I enjoy.

Have a great start to the week...school's back!

The Raggedy Girl said...

I will have to try the butter, it looks like fun to make. I also visited your recipe page and I can't wait to find time to come back. I have a recipe page on my blog with "zero" recipes on it but I am inspired to dig into my little box with the hearts all over it and share some. Thank you for all the wonderful recipes you have shared.
Roberta Anne

Lindsay said...

I also slept in this past weekend! - and until 10am too! (first time in years!) I usually let DH sleep in every weekend. I was in shock when I woke up - I was SO thankful that he let me sleep!

Anonymous said...

It's rare for me to sleep in too.. but if it was raining here I'd certainly give it a try.

I need to get out my copy of Gone with the Wind and watch it again.. I love that movie.

~ Tisha ~ said...

I hear ya on the sleeping in thing, yet my husband is pretty good about letting me sleep in on saturdays but sundays are early anyhow for church and all. I love that song!!! And Thats great that homemade butter brings back memories from the past.. I love things like that. God bless you and your family and get more sleep in days.. It is good for your soul..

Our neck of the woods said...

I LOVE sleeping in and boy does it feel good when it's been years since.
I added the McLeods Daughters first season to my Blockbuster queue. I watched it last night while my husband sat on the couch with the laptop. He ended up watching it with me! He is not the type to watch chick flicks!
We finished it in one night. I better go add some more to the queue! Thank you Sandra.
-Marisa Sosa-Baca

Susanne said...

I wish I could sleep in. My problem is the days I need to get up it's so hard and then when I can sleep in I'm up and wide awake at the same early time. What is up with that?! LOL.

Have you watched the Walton's or Little House on the Prairie yet?

gail@more than a song said...

We stayed up too late many nights during the holidays and have slept in a few times too, it's so nice!
I'm trying to catch back up; looks like you had a good Christmas! Your haircut still looks so cute, hope you're enjoying it.

Laura said...

Hey, Sandra! I love it when I am able to sleep in, too.

I asked my hubby about our Blazer and he said it was the EGR valve that he cleaned. He used intake/throttle body cleaner. The guy at the auto parts store said, he cleaned his valve, and it lasted another 20,000 or so miles and then he eventually had to get it replaced. Hope that is what is wrong with your Durango. It's definitely rather aggravating to have car problems, whether they are big or small!!

Tina Leigh said...

We got the series "John Adams". It was made by HBO. I cried several times.It is full of history but such a great story in general...about our country & how it came to be.

heidi @ ggip said...

We had some later mornings too over the holiday. But we also were up later!

I am actually happy to be getting back to a regular, earlier routine.

:)