Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Cooking, Cleaning and Cakes!


Good Morning everyone, you know I realized that I hadn't done a sky photo in a long time, so here you go, a glimpse of our sunrise!

I would love to tell you all that I got a great night's sleep, but I didn't. Nicholas is having some sleep issues since we went to South Africa and it's affecting us all, especially me. I'm just hoping that when he starts Kindergarten next month, that maybe, just maybe, being tired and all he'll start sleeping not only in his own room BUT by himself without crying out for me every 2 hours. It's like having a baby in the house but without the diapers, the bottles and that yummy just bathed baby smell.

Any advice ladies? Throw it my way, at this point I could use anything just to ensure an uninterrupted night's sleep.

But moving on, I've posted two recipes over at the Food Blog. My Roast Fish and Potatoes and the Vegetable Lasagna, if it's something you're interested in, go on over and take a peek. I'll even give you pictures to tempt you, I'm a visual person and seeing something usually dictates whether I'm interested or not. Don't laugh, it's true, I do it with food, I do it with book covers and perfumes and all sorts of things...it's a sickness I tell ya.



I have a few things that I need to get to today, like putting away the 2 baskets of laundry that I ironed yesterday AND the other basket that is coming after I iron it today. What's with laundry anyway? No matter how much you think you're caught up and on top of it, it's always growing, it has a mind of it's own doesn't it?

Once I'm done with that laundry I have Today's Small Thing to do, it's all about spots, so I'm going to grab my Green Works bottle and head to the bathrooms where those little mirror spots seem to appear daily...I blame the kids, I always catch them in there playing with the water. Jasmine is usually giving her dolls a bath or Nicholas is dunking his army soldiers saying that it's the ocean and they have to make it from one side of the sink to the other. Poor things....must be hard swimming with feet that are stuck together. *snort*

If you're looking for some good reads this morning, I suggest one of your stops is over at Sheila. She's doing her Wifey Wednesday post and she's talking about How Women See It....and this quote had me literally laughing out loud.

My friend Paul Henderson, who scored the famous 1972 goal in the Canada/U.S.S.R. hockey series, uses this analogy when he speaks at marriage conferences. He can be in the living room having a rip roaring fight with his wife, but then she'll walk into the bedroom, and his hands will start to wander. All over her. And she gets mad. "What are you doing?!" She'll yell. "We're fighting!". And he'll say, "We were in the fighting room. Now we're in the sex room. So I thought you had moved on!".
LOL How true is that? No really, you have to go read her entry today, it's that good.

BTW, I haven't forgotten about the South Africa Trip photos, I have so many more to share and I just haven't had the time to sit down and compose the entries. But here's a preview of what's to come tomorrow:


Setting out at 5:30am and being greeted with this stunning sunrise and nothing but wilderness around you


Beautiful giraffe, they're so graceful


I have to set up my webcam today so that I can chat with my family back in South Africa, I know I know, I've been horrible about it but I honestly haven't had a chance for much around here. So Bruno, I haven't forgotten and I promise I will get it up if not today by tomorrow definitely. Love you *bats eyelashes for better effect* LOL

Well it's time to get off the computer and start the day. I need to get the steaks out for dinner, I'm making portuguese steak with fries and egg and a salad. For dessert I'm making an Orange Cake, one of my favorites. (I'll share the recipe later today)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good grief ... that orange cake looks INCREDIBLE!!! Did you take that picture? Looks like you have good talent with photography, too. Hope you're having a good day. Sounds like a yummy dinner. SOrry I haven't been by in a while! So behind on blog reading. :(

Anonymous said...

I donot really have a great comment to day,I do like the phots. I just popped in to say I hope that you are haveing a great day today! That's my story and I just have to stick to it.

Barbara said...

Your day today sounds just as busy as yesterday! Can't wait for the Orange Cake recipe... I have an orange cake recipe called Proposal Cake that I should make sometime and share... I love a good citrusy dessert!

Michelle said...

I lol'd at the Paul Henderson Comment..All the way to get a kleenex! I hope that you and Nicholas get some sleep and soon..thanks for the orange cake recipe..

Cheri said...

Can't wait to try the orange cake- that sounds delicious.

Mari said...

More great pictures. Love the sky picture! And - the cake looks great.

Anonymous said...

what great images! Thanks for sharing.

Joy said...

May I say how impressed I am with your beautiful photos as well as your organization of your day! I write down the things I want to get done and it usually doesn't happen. HUMMMM, I wonder if it's because I'm blogging.

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are wonderful. I don't know what I liked more, the food or the sunrise!
Toni

Kelly said...

I am not a lady, but I have a suggestion for Nicholas.

He is deriving his comfort from you, and it is always available from you. What I suggest is the hardest thing for a loving parent to do.

You have to let him develop the skills to comfort himself. You did it once, when he was a tiny tot, now you have to do it again.

Maybe you can do it in two steps. Comfort him only in his room at night. Only check on him and let him know you are still there, but insist that he stays in his own room at night.

When you get that far, then let him handle the whole night without you stepping in.

Let him cry. I hate hearing my children cry. But they have to learn to cope.

No matter how bad it sounds, it will likely be harder on you than on him. He is simply doing what comes natural, at what is working for him for how. It has to stop working for him to move on and grow up.

Good luck.

Lulu said...

lovely pics..
The orange cake looks delich..
have a great rest of the day..

Jen said...

Your dinner sounds really good. Your day sounds wild and fast. On Nicholas....not sure....try camping out in his room for something different....good luck.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandra,

Looks good here!! Love the tasteful Orange cake..yummy!!

Also love your new pic.

Love,
Jeannene

Jillina said...

Hey hon!

Sorry Nicholas is giving you trouble getting to bed. I know Amaya does just about the same thing, only she just goes psycho around bedtime and runs around like a maniac. We fix that by rubbing her back. hehe.

Maybe if you sit and spend extra reading time with him in his room until he falls asleep? Kelly tends to put the kids to bed since I started working so early in the mornings, so his advice probably works best. :):)

Hope it all works out doll!

Anonymous said...

Any more vegetarian recipes?

Susanne said...

Thanks for that link Sandra. It was excellent!

That orange cake has me drooling!

smilnsigh said...

Beautiful photos...

Can you get him to talk about his sleep issues? Could that help?

Hugs,
'Miss' Mari-Nanci
{Yes, I am channeling my inner "Southern Lady Of A Certain Age"!!! Gonna' call myself "Miss Mari-Nanci" from now on. If I can't get people up here, to call me that, I shall call myself that! So there!!!} :-)
Smilnsigh blog