Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Works for me Wednesday *Christmas Edition*



Wow, it's been forever since I've participated in the WFMW.....just haven't had the time, but being that this is a special Christmas Edition, I didn't want to pass it up :)

Being a military family means that we are constantly on the move and always far from our families, which makes it really really hard during the holidays, especially when hubby is deployed too and it's just me and the kids.

So about 5 years ago I came up with a way to make it feel like the family is here with us during the holidays. I started hanging up ornaments with the names of all the family members that can't be with us, whether because they live far away or have passed on :)

It's become a tradition for us to hang up these ornaments and remember every family member, always brings a smile to my face.

Now if you're crafty, you can really get into it, but they're pretty easy to make. All you need is colored ball ornaments, some glitter and some permanent markers, some ribbon or anything else you want to put on there. For years mine looked like this:



But with kids, it meant that half of them were broken or simply vanished into thin air. So this year, I'm turning them into a garland, I'm going to cut out some felt christmas shapes and either write or embroider the names on, then use some twine to string it all together. Voila!!!

I got the idea from this Thanksgiving Garland that I'm making right now. :)



If you want to play along and post your own WFMW idea, just head on over to Shannon at "Rocks in my Dryer". :)

13 comments:

staynfit said...

Sandra, what a wonderful idea!

I started hanging up ornaments with the names of all the family members that can't be with us, whether because they live far away or have passed on :)


I am going to start this tradition for our family this year.
Thank you for such a beautiful idea!!

BTW, thank you also for adding my blog to your blog list. That tickled me happy!

Sharon said...

I love the idea of writing the names of loved ones on the bulbs. Very good idea and I think I will try that one this week. Thanks for all the ideas.

Stacy said...

I've been reading your blog for a while, but this is, I think, the first time I've commented. I just had to. This is such an awesome idea to keep loved ones near and a great opportunity to talk to kids about the family and share the stories.

Scribbit said...

I do so love that garland, great idea.

Susanne said...

What a lovely idea! I like both versions. The Christmas ornament and the garland. Seeing that sewing makes me break out in hives, I would opt for the ornaments, myself, unless of course, some wonderful little seamstress offered to do the garland for me. :v)

someone else said...

That's a great idea! It certainly will help in keeping those loved ones in your mind and heart.

GiBee said...

This is a cute idea ... did you see the Legacy Tree idea? It's something along the same lines that you posted on!

Donnetta said...

What a touching and heartwarming idea! Thanks for sharing that!!

Cyndi said...

I *really* think I'm going to do this this year (write the names on ornaments.) What a precious (and doable) idea. Thank you!

Jane said...

Oh memories! My grandma had an ornament just like that one you posted for each of us grandkids. I LOVED going to her tree to find my name. The garland is going to be so pretty and as you said, unbreakable.

Eden said...

What a great idea! I love both the ball ornaments and the garland! Have a splendid day!

Rae said...

Wonderful idea, thanks for sharing! =)

PastormacsAnn said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing it.