Friday, August 18, 2006

IT'S SUCH A BEAUTIFUL MORNING.....

We woke up to 52 degrees, and it really feels good. It's been scorching hot here lately, so this is a much welcomed reprieve.

I actually got everything done on my TO DO list, and I've got pictures to share too. It took me but 3 hours to make my kitchen curtains, between bites of a grilled cheese sandwich, I managed to get them done and they look great :)

Right after I was done with those, I was in such a CRAFTY mood, that I went straight for the Spa Indulgence Kit. Let me tell you something, this was by far the easiest soap making kit I've ever come across, and the results are just wonderful. I'm thinking this could make a great gift for someone's birthday, christmas or any other occasion.
So before I continue, here are the pictures of the curtains and the Spa kit.



The Spa kit makes 2 hand soap pump bottles, and 4 bars of soap.


I feel like I actually got quite a bit done yesterday, doesn't it feel wonderful when you look around and realize that you did it all in just one day??? I'll be honest though, there's days that I don't feel like doing anything, and I just sit around (well as much as a mom can), in between meals and helping the kids. I'm thinking today might be one of THOSE!!! :)

One thing that I love doing, is watching the HGTV channel, but not for all the shows. There's one in particular which I'm fascinated with, and that might be because of my interest in everything Victorian and old. The show is called "If Walls Could Talk", it's so interesting to see the houses that people have bought and restored and the wonderful things they find, remnants from years gone by, notes, journals, legal papers, photographs....just tons of wonderful relics.
On the show last night was a couple who bought a house and when the husband was removing the floor boards in the upstairs rooms, he found a piece of paper, folded neatly, but obviously very old, when they opened it up they were faced with a wonderful little note written by 3 young girls that lived in the house in the 1920's. The note talked about how they were sitting around eating graham crackers, or as the girls said "feasting on graham crackers and our imagination"....how sweet is that??? They even had a drawing of all 3 sitting around :)

I also was able to read a few more pages of my Beverly Lewis book "The Englischer". I just love her work and I've yet to come across one of her books that I didn't like. Can't wait to finish this one.


In a hot, dry season, a tiny drop of kindness makes the world healthier and more hopeful.
When I read this on one of my Christian Newsletters, I was taken aback. What exactly did that mean? I was suprised to realize that I didn't quite get what it was trying to say to me....then it hit me, "OHHHHh, this is why the title was called Watering the World."

Do I contribute to it at all? Am I also watering everything around me? I don't mean literally "watering" as in pouring water on things, I don't think the guy from Housing Maintenance would appreciate a bowl full of water poured over his head.....BUT when he comes in to fix one of my appliances and I offer him a cold drink, I'm "watering" him, per say. Shouldn't we tend to those that bring something special or good to our lives?

See I'm the kind of person that will give a tip at the grocery store, even though I'm bringing out my own groceries. Now don't think that I'm saying this so you all can clap hands and tell me how wonderful and thoughtful I am....that's not it at all....I'm merely using it as an example of how we can "Water the World" around us.

I see examples of this everyday, when I walk into a store and someone stops me to tell me how beautiful my daughter's hair is, or when my car broke down and a high ranking military guy came to help me while everyone else just walked by.....in a way they're all helping to care for and tend to the world. You know Psalm 23 is a great example of why we should care for others the way that God cares for us. Think about it, and when you go out today take the chance to "water the world", say a nice word, help someone by holding the door for them or leave a bigger tip than usual...it's just a small thing, but think of the "ripple" effect it will create. :)

Well the kids just woke up, gotta go give them breakfast and a hug full of love. I hope you're all enjoying your friday. Btw, my "Everyday Things" post is just below, so take a look if you want to see what I'm content with today.


12 comments:

someone else said...

Those curtains are so pretty and the fabric has such a light, airy feeling about it. Beautiful!

"Water the world" -- what a nice concept and way to say it. I like the idea and will definitely try to practice it.

Christina said...

Wow the curtains are awesome. Do you sew a lot. I really want to learn, but it looks hard even though everyone says it's easy. Maybe I will give this a try soon since your curtains have inspired me. The spa kit is neat also. I love this kind of stuff and I imagine this is pretty easy to do.
I was reading your part on kindness and last year we had gotten a flat tire and a lady who had just come from Costco, turned around and stopped by the car and offered my kids gatorade bottles and little bags of cookies. She knew my husband had it under control since he was almost finished changing the tire, but her kindness in stopping in the hot sun and offering the kids (all 5 of them), drinks and snacks was very touching.

Michelle said...

You did accomplish a lot yesterday! Curtains looks great and so does the soap kit!

mom of 2 said...

I think you do more in one day than I do in a whole month!!! I'm such a procrastinator! There is such a great sense of accomplishment when you do finish something you've wanted to do or have been working on! Your curtains and soaps are beautiful!!

Annie said...

I love the soap kits...they would make beautiful gifts. I love the idea of watering...I think it is such an important part of the Christian life, the way people see us is how they will see Jesus.

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

What a sweet post. I always try to "do good" and often don't see it back... but the other day the nicest lady behind me in line unloaded all my groceries out of my cart onto the conveyor at the store, as I had the baby in the sling. I could have still done it, and was planning to, but she insisted. It was the sweetest thing. That really ministered to me!

Kelli said...

Your curtains look wonderful! You did a great job!
Your soaps are beatutiful! I love the flowers inside them.
Oh, that "If Walls Could talk" sounds like something I would love to watch! Wish I could run on over and we could watch it together. :0)

Kelli

Barb said...

Wow. You covered a lot of ground with this one. Curtains are lovely. Soap is amazing. (I should try this.) And "watering the world." I really love that. Thanks for the gentle reminder how much a little thoughfulness can mean to someone.

Jen said...

I just wanted to let you know how sweet it was of you to checkin on us.....your curtains are beautiful and the soaps are great....that would be a great christmas present for some people....dont ya think?
jen

Michelle said...

I love the curtains and I like the spa kit! I saw the soap kits when I was buying more wax for the candles I have been making and I thought yep soap is next! I am getting ideas for Christmas presents as we speak. LOL. I love the new look of your site.

Laurie said...

I just found your blog, I love the header!! Your curtains are pretty, the spa kit looks like it would be a lot of fun! Hope you have a blessed weekend!

Courtney said...

I love those curtains. Good job girl! I have to make some soap now. I'm just dying too! LOL!
Love u,
Court