Thursday, June 15, 2006

My baby is now a big boy!!!!!

Last night I decided that we were going to try sleeping with just the big boy underwear on and no diaper. I noticed that for the past 3 nights he would wake up in the morning with a dry diaper, so it was time to venture forth into the unknown LOL

I'm SO proud of him, he slept all night with his underwear on and woke up this morning completely dry. I can finally say that he is now officially and completely potty trained. YAY!!!
For some this may seem like a small thing but for all the mommies out there, you know this is a huge step.
This was his reaction when I told him that he was no longer a baby, he was now mommy's BIG BOY!!! (to which he quickly replied "I'm not your big boy, I'm Nicholas" lol)
And this is what my princess looked like this morning. I have to tell you, this girl HATES getting her hair brushed, I have to be on her case constantly about brushing her hair. I often tell her about the time that I was around her age and also hated getting my long hair brushed, and finally one day, my dad got so tired of the fighting about it, that he took me to the hairdresser and got my hair cut really short. I NEVER complained again!!!
So now I threaten warn her about doing the same.
But no matter, she always looks beautiful :)

I'm proud to tell you all that I managed to do everything on my list yesterday, including dying my hair. Boy do I feel better, something about being 31 years old and having some gray hairs that really brings me down. LOL

I've started working on a schedule for the summer. I usually have one during the school year, but for some reason this time I realized that I desperately need one now too, for fear of going insane.
So I used Kim's example from "Reality Check" and made my own. Click below to see it. This is usually what my day consists of so it wasn't a big change and I didn't have to add a bunch of things in, but I did make sure to make time for the kids crafts, reading, playtime etc.

While checking my email this morning, I came across one about "Fear Factors in Parenting".
how not to let the fear of bad things happening to our children dominate our parenting style. Sometimes this fear becomes oppressive and shields kids from the very things they need to be learning.
Wow did that strike a nerve with me. I am so guilty of that. There are so many things that I remember doing when I was little and nowadays I wouldn't dream of letting my kids do it, and I'm not talking about dangerous or major things but even small things such as climbing a dirt hill, playing outside in the front yard, going to the park across the street alone, things like that. Maybe I'm over protective, but then I think "how am I really helping my kids by sheltering them from everything out there?".
Am I the only mother trying so desperately to protect them even from the things that are not that big of a deal??? When do I let go of that control, put it in God's hands and just enjoy being a mom. Seriously, there are days that I feel like I'm living in this bubble, I want the kids to stay in it and not DARE to go outside for fear of something happening.

It's easy when you learn to let go of this fear and when you understand that no matter how much you worry, - whatever is going to happen, is going to happen- scary thought isn't it?
So here's my question, do I place it in God's hands, allow my kids to do the (not so dangerous things that we all did as kids), or do I continue to shelter them and keep them from being kids and enjoy their years of innocence?
It's something I have to work on, it's probably going to be one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make, so I'm gearing up (so to speak). I'm putting on God's armor, I'm surrounding myself with the holy spirit and I'm asking Him to show me the light. I will be sure to let you all know when I've achieved it.

Well I better get going, have to run to Walmart and get some groceries too.
Have a great day guys :)


6 comments:

Courtney said...

Great idea with the schedule. I will definately have to do the same. Lately I feel like pulling my hair out so maybe a little more organization may work. Hey it can't hurt!:)
Love ya,
Court

Beck said...

Reading that bit about fear really struck a nerve with me too. I'm overprotective, definitely, and it's hard for me to find a reasonable balance between my fear and their safety and what they need to do to grow and be strong and happy. Yikes.

Angie said...

Overprotective parent...were you talking about me or what? I thought I was almost all alone in that issue. I try very hard to shelter my children. I won't even let my 15 1/2 year old son go to the movies with friends yet. (I know what I used to do when my Mom dropped me off at the movies...uh oh...I hope she doesn't read this...Shhh!) I rarely let my kids spend the night with a friend unless I know that they are a Christian. Is that too harsh? You just never know!
I still try to be a super cool Mom, at least I think I am....hold on...{{{Hey kids, am I a super cool Mom?}}} 4 very loud screams back..{{{Yes Mom}}}. So there you have it. I know that I will have to let go a little bit here soon with my oldest son, but I will when I am good and ready! And more importantly, when he is good and ready!
I think that we are protective because they are in God's hands. He gave them to us to care for and love and that is exactly what I am doing, to the best of my ability!

Michelle said...

Hey Sandra-- I am facing the same thing now. Nathan is 10 years old so it is a little different. I have always been the mommy that encourages independence as long as I was in reach. LOL. . Now that he is older I have to let go somewhat, God tells us that we have to let go, (not all at once) but we have to teach our children to stand tall and what is right and wrong. How do we know if we have achieved that if we do not let them stand alone or at least us stand in the distance!

Two weeks ago I was faced with this. I let Nate go ride his bike in the neighborhood with some of the other kids, I told him you come back in hour to check in and No Nate. I waited for 2 hours before I went looking for him. I found him where he new he was not aloud to go. So now we start all over again, with he can not be trusted thing. GRRRRRR... Did I fail somewhere or did he just make a poor decision. Either way I know now what we need to work on, if I had never let him go then I would of thought he had it and it was no problem. That is the short version, hope it helps a little.

My neighbor told me he was at the park so I new where he was at but he did not know that! LOL.

Sandra said...

Courtney - I feel ya Court, I've always stuck to a schedule, not because I want to, but it makes my life so much easier. I've also noticed with the kids that if I keep their day organized, they know what to expect, if they just do whatever they want all day, they get bored and hence the fighting and bickering begins. Good luck with the schedule LOL Love ya :)

beck - Oh boy it's so hard, I want to let go but then the mother instinct kicks in and I have them with me all the time LOL

Jaymi - Thank you, that means a lot....I'm by no means anywhere near being the Proverbs 31 woman, but I try my best to be the best mom and wife I can be :) 10am huh??? LOL Dang I wish LOL

angie - LOL you always crack me up. I'm so like you it's scary. I try to be the cool mom too. As for letting them sleepover, this year that Jasmine turned 7 years old is the first time she had a sleepover and it's because I knew the mom and they are christian too, otherwise NO CAN DO LOL

michelle - OMG I so know the feeling you went through. About two years ago when Jasmine was 5 years old, the neighbors little sister came to visit and asked if they could go play outside. I was not happy at first but then I let her go and told her specifically "STAY IN THE FRONT YARD WHERE I CAN SEE YOU". After about 20 minutes of seeing her, I go back to the window and they are gone. I start yelling out for them and she comes running across the street from another neighbors house. They decided to go play over there in their yard....I was SOOOOOO furious but mostly scared to death. What if the neighbor was a freak or worse??? Scary scary.

Anonymous said...

Why do children insist upon scarying us. As far as your daughter with the hair brushing. It is the CURLS. My daughter does the same thing. What worked for me was buying baby doll brushes with actual bristles. She loves it and feels its a game. You might should try it.