Tuesday, May 02, 2006

TREASURE TUESDAY!!!


My greatgrandmother was by far the most influential woman in my life. She taught me SO much and I only hope that one day I can pass on if just a tenth of what she instilled in me.

So my Tuesday Treasures are ALL about my Bio (it's pronounced Bee-awww, not bio like something else LOL).

First let me tell you a bit about her. She was born in 1906 and when she was 4 years old her mother died of cancer. Her father then took on the sole responsibility of raising her and her older brother, until he remarried and then had another son. Within a few years, and when her older brother was 29, he was suddenly killed while out fishing. Apparently he was struck by lightning and fell into the ocean. Now my greatgrandma had been cooking and taking care of the house since she was a little girl, around 8 or 9. Her dad had to work so she would make sure he had his meals ready when he got home.
Unfortunately when she was 13 years old, she came home from school only to find her father had hung himself in the kitchen.

Such a tragic life she had and you would have thought it would be enough to keep her down, but it didn't, she was the strongest and most courageous woman I have EVER come across.
She married when she was 16 years old and her husband, my greatgrandpa, was 26. They had a wonderful life together, but he unfortunately also later passed away with cancer when she was just 40 something years old.

My bio was the family matriarch. She pretty much raised me and my brothers while our parents were out working, she cooked meals for sometimes 20 people, took care of the housework, the kids, anything and everything. One of the things I most treasure and remember was her nightly ritual. She would get ready for bed and then sit down, kiss the photo of her husband and pray, then go to sleep. This went on for years and years and years.
She got really sick when she was 94 years old, and I remember the day I left South Africa to come to the States. I kissed her goodbye and gave her a huge hug and told her I loved her, she just smiled back at me so sweetly and said "I love you sandra, you be a good wife and a good mother and I hope to see you someday soon".

That was September 1998!!!
March 24, 1999, I was laying in bed and the phone rang at 5am, it was one of my older brothers and I knew what he was going to say. She passed away a month before Jasmine was born.
My heart still aches for her and I miss her terribly, but I know she's watching over me and the kids.

I will forever be greatful for what she taught me, I am the woman I am today because of HER.
I have a few items that belonged to her, and I treasure them dearly. So these are my TUESDAY TREASURES!!!

This is my greatgrandfather. I have the original jewelry box which contains this pendant. It's so beautiful and I love looking it at it every chance I get. :)



This is an old old old pin that my greatgrandmother used to wear. She passed this on to my daughter Jasmine. I am keeping it for her until she's old enough to take care of it :)


This ring belonged to my greatgrandmother and was given to her by my greatgrandfather. I always loved looking at it, so when she passed away, it was one of the things that came to me. I try not to wear it too often for fear of loosing it. :)



And there you have it, my Tuesday Treasures. Sorry the post was so long, but I hope you all enjoy it :)

Before I close though, I want to send out a Happy Birthday to my sister in law, Lilian.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIL!!!


Sis, I hope you have a wonderful day and that you get everything you've ever wished for. I wish I was there to celebrate with all of you, but just know that I will be there in spirit and thought.

We love you sis and miss you tons.


10 comments:

Donnetta said...

Wow...she sounds like quite the lady! The "items" are beautiful but I think the memories are the greatest treasure in this post! Beautiful!!

By the way... somehow I tagged you with a meme you have already played. SORRY!!! :-) It was the thought that counts... right?

Sandra said...

momrn2 - You are so right, it's the thought that counts, and next time you have a meme going on, I hope I get tagged :) She really was an incredible lady and the memories are constantly in my heart :)

Kim from Hiraeth said...

Oh, what a life! It warms my heart to hear you speak of how much you loved her and how much she influenced your life.

Overwhelmed! said...

This Tuesday Treasure really touches my heart, as my maternal grandmother meant the world to me and I was reminded of her as I read of your great grandmother.

Grandmothers can make such an lifelong impact, can't they?

I just posted my first Tuesday Treasure. Stop by and take a look!

P.S. I borrowed your Treasure Tuesday image, hope you don't mind. :)

Sandra said...

Kim - Thank you :) She meant a lot to me and she really did teach me everything I needed to know about being a wife and a mother :)

overwhelmed - Thank you :) And no I don't mind you using my Image, I actually just made it this morning LOL Grandmothers are just awesome, they teach us so much :)

faith - I'm so glad you like it :) Thank you for stopping by my blog, I'm definitely going to keep doing the Tuesday Treasurers :)

Emily - Thank you :) I knew I had to talk about my greatgrandmother because she truly is my one treasure in life :)

someone else said...

What a lovely sounding woman. Aren't the keepsakes just wonderful? This past Christmas my husband and I bought each other new wedding rings. I inherited my grandmother's engagement ring and we added a wedding ring wrap to it and I now wear the "new set". I cherish it!

Toni Anderson said...

What an amazing life she led. You were blessed indeed and I can relate! I so loved my gran. I just sent her ring to the jewellers to get it resized--I'm going to pick it up on Thursday. I hope they haven't messed it up :-/

Chaotic Mom said...

This was an absolutely AMAZING treasure to share. A very touching story, too. Makes me wish I had known my grandparents better. ;)

Sandra said...

morning glory - Keepsakes are true treasures and the fact that you are now able to wear your grandmother's engagement ring makes it even more special. Thanks for sharing, that is so sweet :)

Jill - Thank you for stopping by my blog :) I'm so glad that you have such an amazing woman in your life too, grandmothers and greatgrandmothers are true blessings :)

Toni - Oh Toni, I can't wait to hear about the ring, I hope they get it right. I am just too scared of wearing my greatgrandmothers for fear of loosing it or something, that would just break my heart.

chaotic mom - Thank you :) She was and always will be my treasure, what an amazing woman, she taught me so much and I love her dearly for it :)

Melany aka Supermom said...

What a wonderful person. Just amazing.