Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Power of Prayer!!!

I just had to post about this because after reading some of the other blogs this morning, which all seemed to be talking about it, I realized that we all have our own miracles and our experiences with prayer.

To see how this whole subject came about, I invite you to hop on over to Shalee and Gibee's blogs and read their posts, truly inspiring.

After reading those I started thinking about my own life and how God had worked in it, sometimes without me even realizing it. One of the greatest and best examples is with our son Nicholas.
Shannon posted about her loss through miscarriage and I can relate to it after going through 2 of my own.

The miscarriages happened within a short time of each other and it was the most excruciatingly painful moments of my life. It wasn't just a physical pain but an emotional rollercoaster. At the time I can remember thinking "Oh Lord, I will NEVER get through this, I will never again be able to smile or laugh, why me???"
I became angry, extremely angry and I questioned God's reason for letting something like this happen.

A year later, I got pregnant with Nicholas, and it was a high risk pregnancy full of ups and downs. But for the first time in my life, I put it in God's hands and didn't DEMAND that he give me a healthy baby, didn't DEMAND that he not let anything happen or that this be a "piece of cake" so to speak.
And it wasn't easy, I had a lot of hospital scares and premature labor and all sorts of stuff going on, but in the end we got our precious son. Now when I think about the miscarriages I realize that even though it was such a horrible thing to go through, it was the road to having Nicholas and it was also what made me the person I am today. Stronger and so much more confident in my faith in God.

I remember another time when Jasmine was barely a year old, we were living from paycheck to paycheck and we ran out of diapers. We went to the store and hoped and prayed we would have enough to get the pack of diapers, and it turned out we didn't. It's embarassing when you're standing there with people behind you waiting to pay, and you're told that your bank card did not go through due to INSUFFICIENT FUNDS!!!
Curt and I returned the diapers to the clerk and slowly walked out of the store thinking "what are we going to do?". Before we even left the store, the cashier came running up behind us and said "You forgot your diapers." We looked at her like she was crazy!!!
She handed us the pack of diapers and $20 bill. We were shocked and speechless, when she informed us that the lady behind us insisted on paying for the diapers and giving us the money for anything else we need. We had seen the lady and so decided to wait outside the door for her to come out and to thank her. She NEVER came out of the store and we NEVER saw her again!!! Til this day we are convinced that she was truly an Angel in every sense!!!

I have to be the most impatient person that God has ever created. So when I saw this book a few weeks ago, I knew it was made for me.

It's called "You're Late Again, Lord: The Impatient Woman's Guide to God's Timing". WHAT a find!!!!
So if you're impatient or if you ever feel like God isn't answering your prayers or not listening to what you need WHEN you need it, I invite you to grab a copy of this book and start learning, along with me, that God does things in his own timing, the only thing he asks of us is to be patient and to KNOW how to wait purposefully.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great story--thanks for sharing that, and for your kind words about my blog!

Anonymous said...

This is a great post. Really speaking to me.

Toni Anderson said...

What a nice thing to do! Running out of diapers is not for the faint hearted!!!

I feel for anyone who has miscarried a baby. So sad. I think it is hard for someone who hasn't been pregnant to understand the depth of pain people must feel. I'm not sure if fathers feel the same connection at that stage--I think they do to some extent, but there is such a special bond between mother and child... I don't know.

Sandra said...

Laura - Thank you so much for dropping by, you should get that book, it's really good :)

Shannon - Thanks for visiting me here, hope you come back :)

Mel - I'm so glad you enjoyed the post, I think a lot of times people don't think about these things and it's like an eye opener.

Toni - I would have to say that from my experience, it affected my husband pretty badly. He was devastated and couldn't comprehend why it had happened, not just once but twice. Let me tell you it's the one time in peoples lives that makes you doubt everything and question God. But if you can make it through that dark patch, everything is much better and you're stronger for it.