Thursday, June 25, 2015

My Wednesday

Yesterday saw me back, first time in forever, to my normal homemaking schedule.

To say that it felt good and right, would be a very big understatement.  Contentment is the word I would use, utter and pure contentment.

I'm not opposed to change, I actually welcome it and deal it with it pretty well, unlike some of my family and friends.  My husband for example, detests change and gets quite frustrated and stressed about it.

But as much as I don't fight the change, it does feel good to get back to a comfortable and normal routine and with the craziness that has surrounded me for so many months, it was something I was very happy to embrace again.

Hope you're prepared for a photo heavy post, it's been a while since I did one of those, but I want to take you along on my day and show you what I was busy with.

_MG_9397

Breakfast, of course.  Cup of coffee, toast with real butter and some orange marmalade.  I do think this is one of my favorite breakfasts ever.

_MG_9394

Laundry, because it's never ending.  But I will tell you that I'm enjoying it a lot more now that I have such a cute laundry area.  I have to take pictures of each room and show you around the house, I keep forgetting to do that.

_MG_9395

Took a break to check the mail.  I don't know what it is about mailboxes out in the country that really make me smile.  There's just something about them.

_MG_9400

My favorite cleaner and of course, Lavender scented.

I gave the whole house a really good cleaning, just have to work on the bathrooms today.  I have 3 bathrooms to clean, oh boy.

_MG_9401

While the laundry was going, I grabbed the camera and headed out to the back yard.  The other day I was in the front, walking around and seeing what I could find, but I hadn't yet checked out the back yard, not all of it.  And I still haven't seen it all, it's that big.

_MG_9404

But what a huge surprise I got when I came across this tree.  I was snapping pictures of the crape myrtle below and noticed something to my right.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  We have a Pear tree in the back yard.  Oh my word, I'm excited!!!

I don't know if there are any other fruit trees out there, I need to get exploring more, but the grass is tall again and needs mowing and with the last two snakes we found in the yard, I am a little freaked out and not exactly comfortable walking around out there.

_MG_9405

One thing that our property has a lot of, are crape myrtle trees and they sure are gorgeous.

_MG_9406

_MG_9407

Lots of flowers too, so far I've spotted Black Eyed Susans and Honeysuckle.

_MG_9408

_MG_9411

Open fields, lots of open fields and barbed wire fences.  I really do get the sense of openness and country life, I couldn't be happier here.

_MG_9409

Also have a lot of weeds, different kinds and big and small.  With the property having been left alone for so long, they have set roots and pretty much lay claim to the yards.

I think we're going to have quite a battle on our hands getting rid of them all, or trying to at least.

_MG_9412

_MG_9413

_MG_9414

There is so much to see out here, things that for some may seem inconsequential or boring, but for me, a person who loves nature, it's been absolutely wonderful.  I don't know how many times I've been out in the yard and saw or felt or smelled something that took me back to my childhood and reminded me of the times my brothers and I would go to the fields behind our neighborhood and walk around, pick flowers, roll down the hills and just enjoy being outside.

_MG_9415

I've never been a city girl and I don't think I ever will be.

As the day died down, I got busy in the kitchen with dinner. 

Friends, for someone who loves cooking and hadn't really been able to do it in months, this was a big deal.  Felt so good being able to cook a meal for my family.

_MG_9418

As we prepared to sit down to dinner, I said a silent prayer, thanking the Lord for the food, for the house and for the moments we get to spend together.

_MG_9421

And really, how can you not enjoy your meal when you have these views to keep you company?

_MG_9422

Mexican Lasagna is what I made, it was so good, so filling and the family were thrilled to have a home cooked meal in front of them. 

There's only so much take out a person can take and I am frankly sick of it. 

_MG_9426

If you want to give the Mexican Lasagna a try, I've already posted it on the food blog, go on over and take a look or just follow this link.

Alrighty, I have tons to do and so I must get cracking.  I'm baking a Magic Custart Cake at the moment, recipe will follow later.  Also need to make some curtains for two of the bathrooms, so yep, lots to do.

Have a wonderful rest of Thursday and I'll see you all tomorrow :)

15 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

That's great that you found a pear tree. We canned pear jam one year with ours. I haven't wandered out to see if there are any on our tree this year yet. Sounds like you are getting back into a nice routine.

Nikita said...

Oh you're going to enjoy that pear tree. My parents have several, and boy did my son eat his share of pears when he started solids. He loved every bit of it and the amount of pies or pear butter we made was ridiculous.

Christy said...

These types of posts are my favorite kind! Your photography is beautiful and inviting. (I try to take a picture of my breakfast and nah, not so great.) Don't blame you for staying out of the tall grass, that snake your husband got ahold of was enough to send me in the other direction!

Wendi said...

Contentment is a great word for this post. I haven't felt a true sense of contentment in your in a long time. I am so happy you are finding you joy again!

Billy said...

Pears are my favorite! Lucky! We came upon two apricot trees and I was able to can for the first time. Can't wait to see what else you find!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

OH so lovely to have a wonderful photo full Sandra post back!! Love this so much!! It makes me feel so good to see you feeling so good dear Friend. ;)

And what a treasure trove around your amazing property! I can't wait to see what else you find. And see more of your home.

And your lasagna looks amazing!
Blessings.
xoxo

Mahek said...

THANKS for sharing
I see a Indian spice box in your pictures
I had seen one only in a Indian household .. great you are using one very very convenient
great to see you posting your day to day pictures looking forward to many more.
Your pictures all look so amazing and your home has a great feel.

Susanne said...

Nice to see you settling in, Sandra. I think I'd be a little freaked about the snakes but I'm sure you'll get used to that too. :)

Nancy said...

Love all your pictures of the nature around you, I feel the same about city living. The country is for me!! I made your mexican lasagna tonite but added some red beans for extra fiber and nutrients, it was a hit!! Everyone loved it, thanks for posting the recipe..

Amy at love made my home said...

So glad that you are getting back to "normal" again and enjoying life. Being able to make a favourite dinner is always good isn't it and a good way to get back into homelife again! xx

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful feeling I got reading this post.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

My sweet friend, I pray you will be happy always in your lovely home!

Laura {a spoonful of joy} said...

What a heart-warming peek into your day. What a precious gift we housewives have that we find such contentment in our God given role.
Your new home is beautiful and I enjoyed all of your beautiful photos!

Anna said...

The Mexican Lasagna looks yummy. We sampled some at church and it was good, even hubby liked it. I'm going to check out your recipe. If I make it I'll let you know :-)

Liz said...

I'm so glad to see you are settling in and life is getting back to normal.

Your butter tray is gorgeous. Do you leave your butter out or do you put it in the fridge? I know people that do it both ways.

That method cleaner is my favorite. I have a bottle of it upstairs and downstairs, lavender scent of course. I also use their wood polish on my kitchen table that smells of almond, their kitchen antibac cleaner and their bathroom cleaner. I'm seriously obsessed with that brand as of late.

It really sounds like you are where you are supposed to be. I'm so happy for you and your family!!