Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Merge, yield, stop......



This morning I took my sister in law for her written driver's test.

See when you come from a different country, regardless of whether you have a driver's license or not, you still have to take a written test and a road test.

As I was standing there at the counter with her, I had to hand over my military ID and my Driver's license so that I could sign a form indicating that they are currently living with us.

The lady helping us took one look at my ID and brought to my attention the fact that, since my husband just retired and we moved back to Idaho, I would have to take a written test again so that I could have a new Idaho license issued.

I honestly thought she was joking at first. 

I will tell you that my first reaction was to feel slightly annoyed at the fact that I would have to redo this test, but just as quickly I was thankful that I don't have to do a road test as well. 

How bad can the written test be?  Right?  Well, let's just say that after taking another look at the manual I'm realizing that even though I've been driving for so many years, I no longer remember some of the technical side, and especially the *so and so feet from this and that*.    It's starting to feel like I am in school again and studying for a final. 

But as I was sitting here studying the book tonight, it dawned on me that our lives are sort of a driver's manual.  We stop, we go, we merge with the flow of traffic, we sometimes accelerate and then slow down and we often have to yield to the likes and wants of others.

We have to pay attention to what we do, and we have to keep a watchful eye on what others are doing as well.....all just to make it through life as safely as possible.

I don't know about you all but sometimes I wish I was on the only one on the road, with no one else interfering with my journey and I would be free to come and go and drive as fast or as slow as wanted.

I'm sure I wouldn't have learned as many lessons as I have until now, if everything was ever so easy. 

So I guess I'm actually happy to have all these regulations, fast and slow lanes and intersection, if anything they keep me on my toes and make me appreciate where I'm going that much more.

How about you?  Are you enjoying the journey you're on?
Have to make any unexpected stops, twists and turns, yields you would rather not make?

3 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Good post.

Let's say that I am learning to be thankful in this stage of my journey. It isn't something that I would have chosen, but this is where God has brought me and He will see me through, each and every step of the way.

Have a lovely day ~ FlowerLady

Judy said...

What a thought provoking post Sandra :)
I'm enjoying my journey, tho I'm experiencing a twist or two, especially with my parents living with us, I can still say I'm enjoying my journey :)

gillyflower said...

Taking the first part of your post at face value re: the written driving test, I never realised that in the States you had to re-take that part of it if you moved - nightmare! And not at all what you were expecting taking your SIL for hers!