Thursday, August 15, 2013

A lifetime of missed events!

2013_08150001

When you are living thousands of miles away from family, one of the things that most stands out is the fact that so many life events go by without you being there.

For the past 15 years, I have missed out on my niece's and nephew's lives and many of their firsts.

It's upsetting and it's heartbreaking and it makes you cry and want to go home, but it's also something you learn to live with.  Not that it gets easier, but you learn to accept that there is nothing you can do to change it and you live vicariously through the photos and updates on Facebook and through emails and phone calls.

But it's never the same is it?

Now I have one of my nieces and nephews here and it's been wonderful seeing them every day and talking to them and learning who they are, their likes and dislikes.

Knowing that I will be witnessing many of their firsts in this new journey in their lives, makes me so happy.  I may have missed out on the earlier years but I will be here for the older ones as they set out into the world.

One of the biggest accomplishments for a teenager is learning to drive, and that's exactly what my niece Tiffany is doing.

2013_08130002

You see, back in South Africa you have to be 18 to get your driver's license, so she would have had to wait a few more years. I can't even explain to you just how excited she is and to be driving her Uncle Curt's big truck.

2013_08130004

She looks so tiny in that big ol thing LOL

Uncle Curt is very patient though and loves teaching so she's loving this.....and I'm loving the fact that I get to witness this first hand, such a big event in our lives :)

Only thing that would make this better is if I had all of my nieces and nephews here with me, but, maybe one day :)

2013_08120005

We've had two days of reprieve from the fire haze and the smell of burning, and the farmers have been out there plowing and enjoying the fresh air without all the ash.

Unfortunately today, we are back to hazy, smoky, foggy skies and a horrible stench. I feel so bad for the firefighters who have been battling these fires for days now, I pray that the fires subside and soon.

It has made for some stunning sunsets though as it's turned the sun a bright red ball in the sky.

2013_08120016

Anyway, I wanted to come in and give you a quick update of what is going on in my side of the woods.

Have a super busy day with bill paying, grocery shopping, errands to run and hair cuts for all the boys, so I better get finished with my grocery list and start waking up kids, takes forever to get everyone ready to head out the door.

Have a wonderful Thursday everyone :)

6 comments:

Tina Leigh said...

She looks like you Sandra!! Don't you love how characteristics are passed down!

Love reading about this new life you're living. Would love to see more of your house too, as I know it is getting the "Sandra" touch & is lovely!

Have a good day!

Sweet Tea said...

It seems we never really "deeply" appreciate our family until we are not with them. So glad you've got this opportunity to reconnect.Enjoy your busy day!

Joanna Unbehaun said...

I love your blog. Seriously! I just mentioned you twice in my blog today :) I am so glad you are back home, and that you're not in bazillion degree temperatures!

Debby said...

She looks SO MUCH like you!!! Bless your hubby's heart to take on the job of diver's ed!! Wish I could have had him years ago with our DD's.

Cheri said...

So glad you're getting to enjoy these moments. I'm sure your niece and nephew are loving getting to have you with them just as much. I love the picture of Curt and your niece in the truck- his hand is also on the steering wheel. Made me chuckle a bit!!

intentional.wanderer said...

Thank you Sandra for all of your posts! I have been a lurker in these parts for a number of years now... but I'm hoping to change that! I'm now a twenty-something new mom ... but I moved from South Africa to Canada when I was 10 years old. I know exactly what you mean about a lifetime of missed events. It doesn't feel as far as it once did with things like Skype and email (when we first moved snail-mail was how we kept in touch..my mom was fantastic at letter writing!) ... but when those "big" events come around, they feel like they're a million miles away.

Thanks for your honesty... and your yummy recipes. Your "Mix in the pan" chocolate cake is a favourite around here :)