Saturday, July 20, 2013

Farmer's Market Saturday

One of the things I most missed while living at our previous place, was the lack of Farmer's Market in the area.

I dreamed about the fresh eggs, the delicious produce and the ability to get raw milk.  Now I know there is a lot of controversy about the raw milk, some say it's dangerous and it could be bad for you, others can't help but talk about the benefits and how much healthier it is to drink.

I'm one of those, I truly believe that it's healthier for you, and the taste is nothing like you've ever had.

Luckily for us, one of the things we can look forward to now is the Farmer's Market that runs every.single.Saturday from May to October.  That made me so happy you just have no idea.

We've been here almost 3 weeks so this morning I decided it was time to head on up there and see what they had.

Oh goodness, let me quickly tell you that aside from the Farmer's Market part, they also have a flea market where anyone can set up free of charge to sell their goods.  I mean, really, a flea market AND a farmer's market, I don't know about you but I can't think of a better way to spend my weekend morning.

2013_07200006

This is my haul, and I could have left with a lot more but it was the first time there and I was so overwhelmed by all the goodness around me that I decided to just start small.

First thing that caught my eye, a table run by a very sweet farm family who were selling.......raw cow's milk and raw goat's milk. NO WAY!

I grabbed a gallon of the raw cow's milk for $5. I can't get over how delicious this milk is, it's so creamy, so lovely, it's hard to describe.

2013_07200002

My Nicholas who is the milk lover in the family has been guzzling it down, he says it's best thing he's ever had.

I plan on making butter in the morning, as well as some cheese. Just look at that delicious cream at the top already.

2013_07200026

They were also selling this yummy cheese, it's SO SO good.

2013_07200010

Also grabbed two dozen fresh eggs for $4. That is a steal.

2013_07200009

Something really neat I found out the other day, is that there are quite a few Mennonite around the area. When we lived here in the past I would always see the families up at Walmart shopping for groceries, but I never thought anything about it.

When I was up at Walmart last week I saw them again and after doing a little research, and also thanks to my friend Anna on facebook, I found out that there are quite a few of them in Grandview. Guess I'll be scouting that area more LOL

Anyway, all this just to tell you that I came across a table with a very sweet Mennonite lady selling produce, and bought this bag of beans from her. Plan to return and get more of her stuff next week.

2013_07200005

Something else that caught my eye were these organic gorgeous sweet corn on the cob, grabbed a baker's dozen for $4. Not bad at all.

2013_07200004

Nothing makes me happier than buying fresh produce straight from the farms and I'm thrilled to know that I have it available just down the road.

15 comments:

Conny said...

yum!!! :)
One thing I am excited about where we are moving to is also a farmer's market - and it sometimes runs from Thursday to Saturday!!! wooo hoo ... I follow them on facebook and there are also often crafts, local artists, etc. :)

The Enstads said...

I just started following your blog as a new SAHM. I have also moved to a new state and I am starting over! I have enjoyed following your blog!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Great finds at the Farmer's Market! Wish we had a good one around here. The flea market should be interesting too! I have read some about the Mennonites and find them very interesting. I have a great deal of respect for how they practice their simple faith. Thanks for sharing and enjoy all that good food.

Debby said...

This post should have come with a warning "this will make you hungry!!" Ha Everything looks wonderful

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

How wonderful it all sounds and looks.

I am so happy for you and your family.

FlowerLady

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures and new blog look. So happy for you. Your milk,cream, etc look as fresh as you say they are...and Mennonites...what more can you ask for!

Kar said...

I love our Farmers Market in our little town. Just right down the hill from the house. The girls and I walk down there nearly every Saturday. It's an awesome way to spend a Saturday morning.

Carol said...

One word: YUM!

Theresa said...

It is illegal to sell raw milk in Canada. I would be leary of drinking it. Does it taste very different than homogenized??

Mary said...

When we lived in Kalamazoo, Michigan, there were lots of Mennonite farmer families who had stalls at the farmer's market, and aside from great produce, they had wonderful baked goods. I'm envious. The farmer's markets here in Massachusetts can be good, but not as good as the huge, unbelievably wonderful farmer's market in Kalamazoo.

That corn looks fantastic.

Nikita said...

love love raw milk..so creamy and sweet..although I think I need to invest in a cow instead as my two year old can go through a gallon on his own in less than a week and if his sister is in a milk drinking mood... it's gone in no time at all.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Sandra! I think most moms think of quitting sometime or other, as we are conscientious about our duties! I can see your new home life is offering so much more for you! I have your recipes that I copied to enrich my family cooking! Thanks!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Great pictures. One day I'll get more adventurous with this kind of thing. I still buy produce, eggs, milk, etc from my local chain grocery store. I do try to get organic when I can but rarely go to the Farmers Market across town. I've been a couple of times and just never saw anything better than the store, which sounds odd. Loved seeing your photos though and hearing about what you got :) I bet that cheese was awesome!

Have a blessed day!

Susanne said...

We have a Saturday morning farmer's market here too, but I usually forget to go. I need to get into a routine with it!

Sarah said...

Buying local is often cheaper and so much tastier! I get my eggs through school from a local farm, they are £1.50 for a dozen compared to £1.65 for a half dozen from the supermarket.

The milk looks gorgeous, so creamy.