Tuesday, May 14, 2013

So far this week.....

2013_05130042

Hello friends, I hope you had a wonderful weekend and a good start to your week.

I can hardly believe that it's already Tuesday, but so is life right?  Always busy busy and time just flies.

I've been busy puttering around the house, doing my daily chores, enjoying homemaking, cooking, baking and working on finishing this school year, by Friday we will be all done and officially on Summer break.  Can't wait :)

2013_05130009

Yesterday morning, I opened my last jar of Tomato and Apple Jam from the pantry.  I have to make more this weekend which officially kicks off my canning season.  YAY!

2013_05130011

I have a homemaker's uniform.  I know many don't but for me, the minute I tie the apron strings around my waist, it means business, it means cleaning and straightening out and dusting and ironing and doing all the things that make up my day as a homemaker.  And I love every single moment of it....you may think I'm just saying that, but I'm not, I really do love what I do :)

2013_05130022

While the washing was going, I hung out the towels to dry outside in the clothesline, then came inside and got to work washing all my fresh organic Kale.  Took quite a few rinses to get it squeaky clean and ready for cooking.

Most of it went into today's lunch.  I make a lot of soups for mine and the kids lunches, thankfully they love soup and I feel that they're getting something healthy, full of veggies and much better than junk food.

Caldo Verde

The weather has been so hot here already but it's been breeze too, so the windows have been popped open and the curtains allowed to blow freely, and is there anything quite as homey looking as beautiful curtains blowing in the wind? :)

2013_05130034

The flies have already started tormenting me, so I keep all food that is out under screen covers.

2013_05130040

It's a fight anytime we open one of the doors, even for the dogs to go potty.  We open the door and a zillion flies rush in, drives me insane.

2013_05130046

Tomorrow is grocery shopping day, so I've been working on the new menus, which means looking through my cookbooks :)

2013_05130050

My tomato plants are looking gorgeous, and I've still got them inside until I can get the tomato covers ready, otherwise the birds will eat them.

2013_05130051

In between all my busy housework, I managed to get some sourdough starter in the fridge.  This is my favorite starter which comes from one of my Amish cookbooks.  It will sit in the fridge for 3 to 5 days, then I'll feed it, let it sit overnight, then the next morning pull out a cup for fresh bread and just keep feeding it every 3 to 5 days.

2013_05140016

I can honestly say that it's the best sourdough starter and bread I've ever had, and I've tried a lot.

2013_05140010

I do take my homemaking as a serious business, I believe that if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it right and I'm going to give it 100%, so I take great pride in everything that I do.

And honestly the easiest route at times IS to make the quickest easiest meals possible, but I'm all about going the extra mile and I want my kids to grow up remembering the special treats that mom fixed for them.  It's those memories that I want them to pass on to their own children.

For breakfast this morning, I whipped up a quick batch of old fashioned doughnuts, they are so yummy especially when paired with a glass of milk, or a cup of coffee if you're a mama :)

This recipe actually came from an amazing little ebook that my friend Jen brought to my attention.  It was free yesterday and unfortunately no longer free today, but it's a gem.  It's called History Lover's Cookbook.  Filled with yummy recipes, history stories and beautiful photography, and I can't wait to try more recipes and share them with you :)

So, there you go, that's what I've been up to so far this week.....nothing exciting but plenty of simple days which is what I'm all about.

I'm off to enjoy a cup of tea, finish my Doctor Who book for review and maybe watch some TV.  I finished Fringe and am so upset and sad LOL  I so enjoyed the show and the characters, will be hard to find another show that will keep me as entertained.

Anyway, off I go, have a restful night everyone.


8 comments:

Lulu said...

sounds like a lovely day sandra..

Debby said...

You are my kinda gal!!! Beautiful photo's of a perfect day

Linds said...

I seriously love the way you take pride in being a home-maker, Sandra. I love what I do too. And I have never regretted it as my own career choice. I am a proud home-maker mama too! So many blessings come with it all. Hard hard work at times, but so worth it.

Rachel Lynn said...

Any chance you could post the sourdough starter recipe? I keep failing miserably on this front.

My Wholesome Home

Sherri B. said...

Your tomato and apple jam sounds interesting and good, if we get enough ripe toms I'll give it a try.

After my first round of coffee in the morning I take off my robe and put my apron on over my PJ's to get my hubby's breakfast and see him off...the apron does seem to give things that proper 'authority' over the day.

I like the soup and will return later to get all of the details.

Have a good night. xo

Wendi said...

I am going to make the donuts Saturday morning. My family will love them! As always it is pleasure to drop by for a visit. :)

Mahek said...

you are such a inspiration to me...
I am a homemaker who wanted to be a working woman but could not due to circumstances..
I love to cook, to create, to read but there is one thing I don't enjoy much is the after cooking job or being in the Kitchen for the major part of the day.
But reading your post makes me enjoy things that I don't.. and that's is a good thing.. so thanks for the inspiration.. It makes my everyday housekeeping activities a little better than they are for me...
I like to find pleasure in small things in life and reading your blog helps me search for the right ones...

webofbutterflies said...

i've always wondered how those healthy tomato plants grow in a small pot.......when i try(although my mom tells me it won't grow)they definitely die or ,u know, the same bird problem here too......although i never grew a tomato plant but others...can u help me in growing them in pot?