Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day 15

It's been a bit of a tough night for me, hence why this post is going up late.

See, there is this fish that the kids and my husband have, he was born kind of deformed.  His body was really short and his tail instead of being long line the others, was small and stood up straight like a fin.

He swam like a little torpedo in little circles and he was just adorable.  They decided to name him Derp.

Anyway, this was the fish that everyone flocked to, and it was daddy and the kids special little pet.

Well....he died tonight.

My kids are heartbroken, but Nicholas especially is completely devastated, he is crying, he is hurt, he doesn't understand why this happened and no amount of comforting him is making it any easier.

I guess this is where I struggle, because at times like these I feel that I just never have the right words to make this better for him....I mean honestly no matter what I say, the pain is not just going to be washed away.

So I have to watch him, have to hold him in my arms and let him cry and vent and I just want to take this pain away from him.  It's heartbreaking to see your child so upset.

I think the biggest issue for Nicholas is that it was something that was special to him and his sister and dad....and dad is gone right now and he's already struggling, so this just exacerbates it.

Tomorrow morning, we are going to bury the fish.  I'm going to let the kids decide what to bury him in, where to bury him and do whatever they want to do, this is for them.  But it still hurts this mama's heart. :(


::::  Watching the Portugal/Denmark game for the UEFA Cup.  The kids and I love watching soccer together.
Day 15


:::: New project...winging this one and kind of wish I hadn't started it, the changing of colors is just such a pain for me.
Day 15


:::: Potholder, actually inspired by my new ice pop molds.
Day 15


:::: beautiful nature all around us
Day 15


:::: Miss Bella enjoying the sunshine
Day 15


:::: Miss Lola being her usual cute self
Day 15


:::: it's hot out there
Day 15


:::: Kids are working on books while daddy is gone, they are writing, drawing whatever they want each day. This is Nic's cover, it is so sweet :)
Day 15


:::: I love my Kalanchoe flowers, they are so dainty
Day 15


:::: Got Nic's end of year results in the mail :)
Day 15




6 comments:

NITA said...

So sorry about your Family pet..tell Nick we will.pray for him.during this time of sorrow. Grieving is normal even for a Family pet!! : (

From Jenny to the Blog said...

Hi. I am a new follower. (Always read your posts but just set up my own blog) Sorry to hear about your fish! Losing a pet is always like losing a part of your family. Especially when you have grown to love them :( It is so hard but like you say, all you can do is hold and hug on them and let them get it all out. Hope he is doing a little better today. x

Terri said...

aww, sorry about derp. i was hoping he was going to pull through, at least until curt made it back. losing a pet is so hard - even if it's just a little one.

Mari said...

Sorry about Derp. I remember how sad Heather was when her fist Gilligan died. It's so hard to lose a pet.

Anonymous said...

Rest in Peace Derp. Just last summer we had to let our beloved cat Goldie go. He was suffering from sinus cancer. Goldie was such a love and he was a big orange cat like Garfield. We got him when my older son was in Kindergarten or first grade (my son just turned 21) It was so very hard for my 11 year old son as well (all of us for that matter). We allowed the boys to do what ever they wanted in respect to saying goodbye and having a funeral. They told us that it made it a little easier.Oh the painful life lessons they have to experience. Prayers to you all.

Laura B.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Nicholas on making Honor Roll. Bet Mom and Dad are so proud! I'm sure Jasmine will do equally as well.

Laura B.