Sunday, December 04, 2011

{ Handmade Christmas - #3 }

I'm sure a lot of you make these for yourselves, and possibly for gifts as well, so it may not be a surprise, but for those that don't, these are the perfect gifts for a mom, sister, grandma, best friend etc.

I always have a jar in my kitchen and one in my bathroom, but this year I thought it would be a great idea to make some extra to give as Christmas gifts.

Lemon Sugar Scrub

Body and Hand Scrubs.

You will find a bunch of different versions online but they're so easy to make that soon you'll be able to take the general idea and add whatever scent you wish to yours.

One of the things that seems to be the most debated is about the shelf life when it comes to some especially the Lemon Sugar Scrub, but I've never had a problem with it going bad, truth be told it doesn't last a long time in my house, I use the heck out of these.

Lemon Sugar Scrub

Lemon Sugar Scrub

2 and a 1/2 Cups of Sugar
1 Cup of Olive Oil
4 Tablespoons of Lemon Juice

Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl. 

Lemon Sugar Scrub

Spoon into mason jars and close tight making sure it's sealed properly. 

Lemon Sugar Scrub

You can keep these in a dark place and out of the sun, it will stay for quite a while. 

Lemon Sugar Scrub

IF you are worried about it's shelf life because of the lemon juice, you can also refrigerate it :)  After sitting for a bit, you may need to give it a good shake or mix it with a spoon as the sugar may settle.  If you find that the olive oil is too strong for your liking, add a little more lemon juice and you can even add in a little peppermint essential oil......lemon and peppermint smell divine together.

Lemon Sugar Scrub

Instructions:   Apply a small amount to hands over the sink so it doesn't make a mess.  Rub into hands for a minute or so, then rinse with warm water and pat dry.  Hands will be silky smooth and smell amazing.

I made some labels, printed them out and then tore the edges before applying with mod podge, you can see that the paper is still wet on these pics.  These make really cute gifts :)

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Scrub

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Body Scrub

2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, making sure to mix everything well.

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Scrub

Spoon into mason jars and seal well. These last a really long time, about 6 months, but honestly I don't know if they'll sit around that long once you try it out. :) Just be sure not to let water into the container because it may cause bacterial growth.

To use, scrub all over your body when taking a shower or bath.

For more ideas on different scrubs, check out Tip Junkie's list.

5 comments:

Amy @ Heritage Homemaker said...

OH MY SANDRA!!!! I love these recipes! Never knew they could be made at home! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

They both sound amazing.

Andrea said...

I just found a pretty little jar I was going to toss, but looks like it has a new purpose.

Carrie - young living oil lady said...

I am SO excited I found this post! I am an essential oil lover and use only therapeutic grade oils (not the fragrant/perfume kind that are actually toxic!). I am going to make these and give them as Christmas gifts! Thanks! You have inspired me! Your pictures are beautiful! Bless you!

Glamourlover said...

I love those recipes !!! thanks for sharing :) you have a lovely blog too !! pay me a visit when you get a chance :)

http://houseofglitter.blogspot.com