Friday, May 13, 2011

Kindle, Nook, or good old fashioned books???

2011_05130002

I would like to think of myself as being up to date with the latest technology.  I would also like to think of myself as one of those people that LIKES technology and all the help it bestows upon us, how it makes things easier and quicker.

But here's the thing, when it comes to books, I just don't think I could ever be a Kindle or Nook owner.

Now don't go getting your feathers in a ruffle, I'm in no way, shape or form belittling or judging anyone who does.

Truthfully, I can kind of see the the pros of using either one, I mean, you don't have to lug a dozen books around or worry about bookshelf space or having far too many books laying around your home.

2010_03080039

But, here's the thing......you also don't get to indulge in the beauty of holding a book in your hand, of turning the pages, of smelling the pages (does anyone else do that or is it just me?).

There's something very calming and therapeutic when I hold a book in my hands, when I allow myself to completely immerse myself in the story.  I love the heaviness of the volume, the cover and the plain black text against the white backdrop of the pages.

I guess I just don't see the overall appeal and I guess I'm just thinking ahead in terms of our beautiful libraries and what will happen to them when we reach that time and age where paper products are no longer available or needed.

2010_01040001

Maybe this is why I've never been into e-books.  I just don't find pleasure in staring at my computer monitor to read a book....and you may find that weird since so much of our everyday tasks are now done online and on that same computer screen, but I like to hold on to something from our past, to the simple things like reading a book by candlelight, or curling into bed and laying under the warm covers with the pages of your favorite story on your lap, falling asleep while you dream of the story you're currently reading.

Holding an electronic device in my hand just makes it seem so impersonal to me.

I try so hard to pull my kids away from electronics, from computer games and tv and video games, why on earth would I want to add another device to their list?  

I think I'm just very curious as to what you all think about this, Kindle, Nook or just good old fashioned books????  Let's chat.

No comments: