Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Because I don't do enough

Honestly, I think I like living surrounded by unfinished projects and lists.

I already have so many ideas floating around in my head, but just this morning I remembered that it's been a long time since I've made soap, I couldn't even remember what supplies I had. So I set off in search of my soap making box and found a lot of things, most of them still in their original wrappings. How happy it made me.

Tomorrow guess what I'll be doing? I'll be setting down the knitting needles, oh not for long at all, but just for a day or two while I dive back into soap and scents and molds....and yes, I'll share on here what I make.

This morning I got a craving for an old Portuguese cake dessert, so I spent a couple hours in the kitchen, baking, going through recipes and old cookbooks. It really is therapeutic for me, being able to open the kitchen window and let the breeze come in, the radio playing softly in the background and my measuring spoons and bowls scattered around the counters.

The results are these

Photobucket

Guardanapos (Napkins) and a Jelly Roll with an egg custard filling. Terribly addicting and not for the weight conscious....trust me.

A couple of you asked me to post the list of my 10 favorite books from the video I made earlier in the week, so here they are:

  1. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
  2. Can't Wait to get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg
  3. Grab a Broom Lord, there's dust everywhere by Karon Phillips Goodman
  4. Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella
  5. Every Storm by Lori Wick
  6. The Constant Princess by Phillipa Gregory
  7. Christy by Catherine Marshall
  8. The Daughters of Lancaster County by Wanda E. Brunstetter
  9. On the Way Home by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  10. Becoming a Woman of Spiritual Passion by Donna Morley

I've come down with a horrible headache the past hour or so, it's one of those annoying pounding pains that make you want to crawl into bed and not come out. Unfortunately that is not an option, I have to start the dough for tonight's pizzas and then I still have to make make the menus for the next two weeks AND the grocery list so I can head to the commissary in the morning.

Nope, no sitting down for mommy, but I figure that if I can get all this done quickly, I'll be able to head to bed earlier and maybe get a good night's rest.

I'll be back in the morning with the Slow Cooking Thursday!

12 comments:

Lulu said...

hi Sandra..i sure hope the headache goes away soon..
its lovely here, hot..I hope we get some rain,its so dry..
the cakes look so delich and pretty also..:-)
hugs,

Mari said...

I'm glad you posted that list of books. I was going to ask you to do that too!
Hope you feel better and I'll see you tomorrow~

Cheri said...

I've always wanted to make soap- you should post directions!
Hope your headache goes away. I get them often too- have you ever tried vanquish? It works the best for me.

Michelle said...

I look forward to trying soap and the yummy dessert.Thanks.Hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

I haven't made soap in years and it sounds fun.. maybe one of these days, but I don't have any supplies on hand.
Hope your headache is gone soon.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for posting even though you had a bad headache...hope very much that a good night's sleep will take care of it. Enjoy your soap making tomorrow. It'll be fun to work on a new/old project!

Manda said...

i envy all you warm ones! its been in the single digits all week here! brrr!

Unknown said...

I wish we could open the windows here to let the warm breezes in. Not so today its, 4 degrees as I type this.. can't wait to read how you make soap!!

Tina Leigh said...

Oh I wish I had some of that "Napkin"! I cant imagine what it would be like...yum!

threesidesofcrazy said...

The soap looks almost edible. Can't wait to see what you make new.

LOL you and I are so much alike sometimes. I have so many UFOs and UFPs that I can't remember them all sometimes!

Anonymous said...

I hope your headache has gone now.

My Mum has read Redeeming Love for the first time and she couldn't put it down. I will borrow it off her.

Hugs and love.

Susanne said...

Hope your headache is better.

That was great reading your list of all time books. I'm glad Redeeming Love made your list! I think I might do that too. It's interesting to think what books have touched our lives and to see what books have touched others.