Friday, July 04, 2008

What did I do yesterday????

I had a FULL day yesterday and I loved it, so come on in and get comfortable, let me tell you about what I did and what I saw and WHO I was lucky enough to meet.

Our morning started at the Base Library, bright and early, for the kid's Reading Program. The theme was Patriotic and we had a local author come in and talk about her book and read a little to the kids, they loved it. Her name is Nancy Arnold and she's a local second grade teacher, very sweet lady, and the name of the book is Patriotic Pups.

Right after the book reading, the kids all got together for a quick craft.


It was a great way to spend the morning and being that I'm such a huge book lover I'm thrilled that my kids feel the same way too. If you remember back a year or so, I was having a hard time getting Jasmine to even read for homework, she just would not touch a book, she found reading extremely boring. Nowadays, I have to tell her to put the book down and come and eat dinner because this child will close herself in her bedroom with her books spread out around her on the bed. It makes this mommy very happy :)

Later that day we headed to the Arrowhead Towne Center to meet up with Michelle and her family. It was just wonderful finally getting to meet a bloggy friend in real life and seeing Kayla and Lucas in person. Let me tell you, Kayla is just the sweetest and cutest little girl you will ever meet, if you think she's adorable on the blog pictures you really need to meet her in person :)

We started out letting the kids play in the Children's Play Area while Michelle and I caught up while Curt and Joe got to talk Air Force stuff LOL

The kids took to each other really easy and were running around like they had known each other forever, it was very sweet to watch :)

Kayla, Jasmine and Nicholas playing!

How cute is this little baby??? The first thing Curt said to me when he saw him was "NO, don't think about it" LOL

It was awesome getting to finally see and hold Lucas, I remember when Michelle found out she was pregnant and then we all kinda felt like we were going through the pregnancy with her on the blog and finally getting to see the little one.

One of the kids favorite things was the Vortex where you drop coins inside and watch them swirl and swirl around before falling into the hole in the middle. I must have gone through handfuls of pennies and even quarters, they were just having so much fun :)


Thank you Michelle and Joe for meeting up with us, it was great finally meeting you in person and I only hope that we get to hang out again in future :)

By the time we left the mall and started heading home, the sun was starting to set and if there's one thing I've grown to love in this place, it's the sunsets. Absolutely gorgeous!


The whole time we were driving we kept saying "Man it's hot" so the first thing we did when we got back on base was check out the temperature.

As you can see, it was 7:32pm and the temperature was 108º F. GOOD GRIEF!

But our night wasn't over yet. We had picked up Mario and Sonic at the Olympics for the Wii at the mall, so we all sat down, or rather....stood up *giggle* for a game. It was a lot of fun, if any of you are looking for a great family game that everyone can get involved in, you definitely need to check this one out.

After getting the baths done and kids into bed etc, we started hearing thunder and lightning outside and I had watched the news earlier and they were talking about some thunderstorms heading into our area. Low and Behold, the sky started lighting up and I was lucky enough to catch it on camera.


WOW! Just no words, nature is breathtaking at times and all it takes to appreciate it, is stepping out into your backyard.
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!

Independence Day honors the birthday of the United States of America and the signing of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776.

It's a day of picnics and patriotic parades, a night of concerts and fireworks, and a reason to fly the American flag.

And that is just what we're doing today.....here's what's on the menu for the BBQ:


So I'm off, I hope everyone has a wonderful Fourth of July, remember to stay safe and be careful out there if you're driving.

God Bless,

17 comments:

Lavinia said...

Your menu...yum yum! Have a great day!

Jen said...

Your menu sounds so good. And I'm so glad you caught up with Michelle. How wonderful....y9ou should go see Andrea...i would so love to meet her one day...hope yur holiday is grand. Enjoy the fireworks.

Susanne said...

Oh my goodness that was a full day! Libraries are so much fun! I have a voracious reader and two who just don't get that part about reading for pleasure. Sigh.

Those sky pictures are incredible. We're sitting through out 2nd lightning storm of the day right now. This morning it passed right overhead and was LOUD and even shook the windows.

Happy 4th of July! Enjoy your celebrations. Your menu as usual sounds wonderful.

Susanne said...

Oh and I forgot to say: 108*!!!!???? My word I was melting yesterday at 84*.

Anonymous said...

Wow Sandra,

what a lovely fun filled day!! I always love looking at your pictures you share. Your friend has two beautiful children, the little girl is so adorable!! (That was funny what your DH said about the baby too..lol)!!

Of course your kiddies are always adorable to look at, Thank you for sharing your day ;-))

"HAPPY 4TH OF JULY" to you and your family Sandra!!

XOXO~Jeannene

Anonymous said...

Happy fourth!!!
I saw your pictures over at Michelle's blog! So cute. I told her I was jealous :)...

someone else said...

Beautiful sunset and lightning pictures! I hope you're having a fun Fourth.

smilnsigh said...

Happy 4th of July to you and your family! And thank you, to all of you, for what you do. Yes, Curt is the serving Military. But you and the children also serve. Thank you!

Magnificent photos of lightening! Do you know how people try and try and try, and don't get such photos! Go you!

How come you deserted your usual blue effect here? This is so warmly shades of red/pink. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs,
Mari-Nanci
Smilnsigh blog

Unknown said...

Wow! What a post! Great pictures, all.

Love your blog!

Michelle said...

Happy 4th to you and yours ;-) That looks like a busy day yesterday ...Glad to hear that you had fun with Michelle & Family and wonderful that you had a baby snuggle...Those are the best...

Michelle said...

I'm so glad that it worked out that we were able to get together! I only wish it were for longer so we could have chatted more :)

Thanks for meeting us at the mall!

We saw that sunset when we headed back to the hotel, but I didn't think it would come out to well taking a picture through the back window of the van LOL

Jill said...

How fun that you got to meet Michelle in person. Loved the photos.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a very full and wonderful day!

gail@more than a song said...

Looks like y'all had a fun day and packed a lot in! It's hot here too and we'll get to 100's soon; but we have such high humidity...do you have the humidity that goes along with the heat?

Tammy and Parker said...

I'm so jealous that you got to meet up with Michelle and her darling family. I love, love, love that girl!

Christina said...

Sounds like you had an awesome few days. I love the base library but we didn't have anything as cool as this happen here.

The pictures of you and Michelle and the kids are so pretty. What a colorful bunch you like like. It reminds me of spring. I know it's summer but that's what it reminds me of. How neat to meet a bloggy friend.

We bought the Wii too and now my hubby thinks he's Tiger Woods. You are right this is such a great family time. I still haven't got Wii fit like I wanted, but the price of the game is outrageous.

Andrea@Sgt and Mrs Hub said...

What a fantastic day! Friends, great food, family fun, a gorgeous sunset, and a thunder storm! Okay, so the thunderstorm doesn't rate as great with me... but the rest of it - awesome!

-Andrea