Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Treasure Tuesday!!! August 22nd

I feel like it's been forever since I've participated in the Treasure Tuesday feature....but actually it might just have been a week or two?!?! Well, whichever, now I'm back so I'm happy to share another treasure....come on in and sit back while I tell you a story, sort of a show and tell, cause I have a picture too. :)



September 11, 2001....I don't think anyone can ever mention that date without it bringing back tons of memories and feelings. But my treasure has to do with that day.

Most of you know that we are a military family, so when 9/11 happened, within a few short weeks, less than a month I would say, my hubby was packed and sent out to Qatar. At the time, we had no idea where he was going, he was not allowed to tell us for obvious reasons, and the only reason I knew where he was is because I sort of figured it out......you know how the media is, they blab too much and one of the guys from the base we are stationed at, was killed there. I just put two and two together!!!

Anyway, here is my treasure:



My husband left on a sunday night, right after Jasmine fell asleep for the night. I remember holding him tight and crying my eyes out, I knew I would miss him, but you also have that fear of something happening, especially under the circumstances.

The above picture is of 2 letters, one for me and one for Jasmine. I had no idea that he had written these, but they were in his locker at work with direct instructions that if anything were to happen to him, that those letters were to be handed over to me and our daughter, who was only 2 years old at the time.

When after a few months, he returned, he then gave me the letters and I remember clutching them in my hand, not sure if I could even open them. With his approval, I opened the letters and read them, and then bawled like a baby.

I'm not going to post all that they said, but here is an excerpt:

Sandra:
I hope in my heart you are not reading this, because if you are then I did not make it back. You are my life and always have been.


Jasmine I want you to know that I love you!!! I am sorry that I will not be there for your first boyfriend or your first love, I'm sorry I will miss you going to school, I apologize with all my heart baby.


And that is all I can type, because now I'm bawling my eyes out again, and can't really see through the tears LOL......

These letters will be with me forever, they are just a reminder of the sacrifices that our soldiers make, and I for one am thankful and blessed that I didn't have to be given these letters by a chaplain driving up to my house. I was able to read them, sitting next to my husband....but the impact of the letters are one which I'll never forget.

That is my treasure this tuesday....if you also have a treasure to share, then come along to Faithful Mommy :)


12 comments:

Barb said...

This gave me a chill Sandra. I hardly even know what to say. The thought that these letters could have been given to you by anyone other than your husband, well I can't bear to think about that.

Laurie said...

Dear Sandra,
Thank you for sharing this. Brought tears to my eyes. Sometimes I don't think people realize how much the men and women of the military sacrifice. This goes for the spouses as well. I was in the Air Force for 4 years and my hubby served for 20 ~ military life is very hard. God bless you,your hubby and your children.

Courtney said...

Yes Sandra what a great treasure. The real treasure is that he was able to hand you these letters. May we never have to read a letter alone.
Love you,
Courtney

Beck said...

Beautiful and heartbreaking, Sandra. Your letters made tears come to my eyes.

Michelle said...

As a fellow military spouse I can completely understand the depth of meaning behind these letters. Sounds like he wrote pretty powerful messages to both of you (I started crying just reading what little you posted!) and I'm thankful he was able to give them to you himself.

I remember when 9/11 happened on Tues - that Sat we were supposed to fly to FL to take a cruise on Sun for our 1 yr anniversary. Yeah that was postponed until Dec. My DH didn't have to deploy when all that happened as he was in a non-deployable position with the Detachment he was involved in, but I understand that sacrifies those in uniform do make.

Thanks for sharing such an intimate treasure.

mom of 2 said...

What a true treasure!! That totally made me cry!!

Amanda said...

Sandra,
How very touching! Thank you for sharing something so special with us and thank you for your sacrifice as a military wife and family.
We live in South Dakota near Ellsworth AFB. Though we are not military we have many friends who are and we have really gained a greater appreciation for all that you do and are and stand for! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

someone else said...

With tears threatening and a lump in my throat, that's a treasure to beat all others. What a blessing that he was able to hand them to you in person.

Annie said...

I cannot fathom the sacrifices families in the military make...you all must be very strong people. I could not imagine my husband going to war, it takes very special families to do this!!

Laura said...

Now if that isn't a treasure I don't know what is. I am so thankful for you that it was your hubbie that gave them to you. Hugs, Laura

Christina said...

Oh my God, now I'm bawling my eyes out. Those are so touching and I am so glad you didn't have to read them the other way. I am glad he came home to hand them to you. From one military wife to another, from the bottom of my heart, I am glad your husband is safely home.

Overwhelmed! said...

Oh my goodness, this post brought tears to my eyes! Wow!