Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Brrrrrr guess summer really IS almost over.....

I wasn't quite ready for the cooler temperatures, well, not THAT cool I mean. I don't like very hot summers, and I do enjoy the nicer weather that comes with Fall just around the corner.....BUT this morning the weather is 55 degrees and really windy which makes it feel like 35.

You can tell it's nippy, we're all having to wear coats and sweaters to walk to school, hardly do you see a child in shorts or dresses anymore. Yes Sir, Fall is heading our way!!!

With the kids all back at school, it also means that I get into Fall Cleaning Mode. I explained it more in m
y Works for me Wednesday post, just below, go take a look. So yesterday I already went through all the closets and dressers and took out the clothes that don't fit anymore, sadly though, it leaves Nicholas especially, with bare closets. So guess where I'm going this weekend???
Shopping, yes, shopping for shoes and clothes that fit. While I'm at it though, I can't help but go into a Dollar Store, and Thrift Stores....they are my best friends.

You know how they say that Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friends??? Well I believe that Thrift Stores are a Crafter's best friends. Nothing like walking out with tons of stuff, vintage fabrics, books and plenty of ideas for new crafts to make. I get giddy just thinking about it.

So here's what I have planned for today....apparently Mount Laundry is at it again. But I've found a sure way t
o beat it. Before, I would do all my laundry and then let it hang out in the baskets, until I pushed and forced myself to put it away. Or until hubby started asking me where was his shirt, or his socks....then I realized he would just make a mess of the folded laundry in his attempt to find what he was looking for. It meant double work for me, now I had to refold everything yet again.

Now, I wash the laundry, as it comes out of the dryer, I fold what I can get away with without ironing, and set it on the kitchen table. In categories, mind you....my clothes, hubby's, Jasmine's and Nicholas's, towels etc. Pretty much by area, it makes it SO much easier for me.

Then I place it all in the basket and head upstairs, straight into the rooms. Imagine me making my rounds. I stop at Nic's room and put his away, then go on to Jazzy's and so on. NO MORE LAUNDRY WAITING TO BE PUT AWAY, FOR A WEEK!!!

My MIL goes to the doctor tomorrow. It's THE appointment, the one where we find out if the cancer has spread or if hopefully it's contained in just the breast. I ask for your prayers, please, any little prayer is helpful and definitely appreciated by us. I will let you all know how it went and where we stand. She has asked me to thank you all for the prayers, it means the world to her to know that even though she's never met either of you, she's being thought of.

Speaking of prayers.....I've been having a hard time with mine. A while ago, I mentioned how I used to give myself "Performance Anxiety", I tried so hard to say the right thing and pray the RIGHT way (if there's such a thing). It was almost like preparing a speech to the Nation, just that I was trying to impress God. Right there should have been my first sign that I was being ridiculous. But anyway, I would end up either drawing a blank, or babbling and repeating myself over and over. Then I realized that I just need to speak from the heart and that made a world of difference.

Well now it seems that I'm being tested again, because I'm all of a sudden, doubting myself and doubting what I'm praying about. Here's an example. I was trying to pray last night and then suddenly became panicky almost. What am I doing??? Why do I think that I have a right to ask God for anything??? His will is going to be done, who am I to ask Him to even consider changing it to accomodate me??? What do I do, do I pray for His will to be done, even if it's not what I want, or do I specifically ASK for something but then risk having Him think I'm being spoiled and selfish??

So here is where you all come in, I trust you ladies, you are all Christians and so strong in your faith. I am always in awe of the prayers you have, it's like the words just flow from you. I need your help, I need to know how I overcome this sudden anxiety. How do you pray??? Do you ask God for things in specific or in general, or do you just ask Him for His will to be done??? Let me know, for I'm tired of acting like the inexperienced babbler when I am talking to Him....

Well now it's time for me to get ready to head out. I have errands to run, and then have to make a stop at Airman's Attic and the Thrift Store. I'll be sure to share my finds. Have a wonderful blessed day!!!

BTW, if you're interested, I posted a quick and easy Shepherd's Pie Recipe, on my food blog. Go on over and take peek :)

21 comments:

Girl Raised in the South said...

We likely all go through something like this, now and then. I tend to do a couple of things. First I use Jesus' example - not just The Lord's Prayer, but his other prayers. The one in the garden, esp. I try to remember it's not "prayer" but just "talking to my Father". Then I just talk to him. I also really like following ACTS - or parts get left out. Start with adoration, tell Him why He's so great, and not the part where He gives me stuff, but rather more like his character. You know the stuff that makes your husband puff out his chest when you tell him. Then I move on to confession - anything that's sitting there not wanting to be said but we both know...Then thanksgiving - all He's done for me, given me. All the things we do for our children but they take for granted most of the time. I do the same with Him. Then, only then, give him The List, Supplication - tell Him what you need, whether it's courage, stability, money, food, patience, more of a yearning for Him. Just tell Him like you'd expect your child to ask you for what he or she needs from you. When I do it that way it works, easily. Hope that helps you.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Ps Sorry to be so long, but you seem to be struggling mostly with whether to ask, what to ask. Imagine if your kids didn't ask for anything. You as a parent know what to say yes, no, and later to. So does He, and as a parent I'd hate to have my kids not ask. So overall - I'd say - ask away. He wants us to have life, and have it abundantly. Start with asking to not be so anxious about asking, really!

Becky said...

The ACTS mode is a good sturctured way to pray. But I don't think God really cares HOW we pray. First of all, He knows what is in our hearts before we even pray. He is just waiting for us to come to Him with any requests, praises or sorrows we may have. I think prayer should be like a conversation. He wants a relationship with YOU and prayer should be like talking to your best friend. He won't judge you for HOW you pray, He just wants you talk to Him.

I need to get my act together one of these days (BEFORE it gets too cold here!) and go check out the status of my kids closets and their fall winter clothes. Like you I'm sure my oldest will be left with a bare closet.

Blessings....

Looney Mom™ said...

How do you talk to your parents? You honor them, you respect them, you tell them how things are going, you share your frustrations, your joys, your tears with them, right? We have to remember that talking to God is like that. He just wants "real" conversation, not some magically formulated or cookie-cutter prayer. I try to remember this when I pray and when I teach my children to pray.

And it's OK to ask: Jesus said in Matthew 7: Ask, Seek, Knock
7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
9"Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."

Think about that from a parent's perspective and your response to you own children. Our God is Abba. Just TALK to HIM - that's all He wants. Be real, be honest; He already knows it all anyway.

Praying for your MIL too! Have a great day!

someone else said...

This is all really good advice from everyone. Philippians 4:6 - He wants us to ask and make our requests known to Him. Sometimes He can answer prayers as we want them answered, and other times He answers them according to how He sees best for our circumstances. Asking, accepting and trusting.....don't stop asking. God wants what's good for our lives. Satan wants to confuse us.

Sometimes I ask specifically and other times I just don't know exactly what to ask for, so I tell God to do what He sees as best.

Donnetta said...

Try not to make your prayers some type of agenda or put your time into a box of what it must look like. Praying is just conversing with God. He wants that relationship with YOU! You can do it at any time during the day. Not wait until some "set" time. Just as if you would call a friend to share something.

Even when you are feeling like you don't have or know the words to say... continue to go to Him. He tells us in His Word that the Spirit intercedes for us when we do not know what to pray.

Since prayer is conversing, sometimes we need to not say anything. Sometimes we need to just be quiet before Him, reflect on Him, and listen for Him. It is ok to not always be the one to have do the talking.

I agree with the others as well... it is not always about asking. Sometimes it is good to just praise.

Domestic Goddess said...

I happened on your blog a little while ago and check back now and again. I just wanted to comment on your issues with prayer.

Think about how you feel when your children come to you with a problem. You want them to tell you all about it. You want to know their thoughts and feelings and you want to help them in any way you can. As the mother, you will also know if what they "think" they want is good for them or not. You will help them in the way that is best for them and the situation, even if it isn't what they have in mind for the solution.

I believe this is how our Father in Heaven is. He wants to hear your troubles, thoughts and ideas. He wants to hear the ways you think you might be able to face your problems. Then, He knowing all, will help you in the way that is best for you and your situation, even if it isn't what you had in mind.

Just talk to Him. Pour your heart out to Him. Remember to tell Him what you are thankful for. (We don't only want to hear our children's troubles, we like to hear happy things too!)

Most importantly, just keep doing it. The more you talk to Him, the easier it will get.

Anonymous said...

I agree with all these comments...the ACTS thing is good to follow. And it is just conversation and He does want us to talk to Him. And ask, I think it's ok to ask for anything too, and tell Him your anxiety as well and He'll help you with it.

I'm interested in knowing what you find at a thrift store that helps you sew or craft! Vintage fabrics? I need to find some new places to go!

Michelle said...

Will be praying for you MIL tomorrow at her appointment that she gets good news about the cancer not spreading.

When I pray sometimes it's generalized and sometimes it's specific...maybe the specific ones don't always get answered in the way I had asked, but it doesn't mean they weren't answered in the way they were meant to be answered, and it doesn't stop me from praying for specifics.

Christina said...

I miss fall. All we have her in Hawaii is summer, summer, and summer. Fall was always one of my favorites.
Have fun going to the thrift store. I agree the thrift store is such a great friend.
Ok, about the prayer thing. I am not an expert, but I usually ask for something specific, like your MIL's health, or anything else. Then I let God know what I actually want him to do about all this (just trying to get a word in as if he doesn't already know), then I always say "Thy will be done." I let him know how I feel and everything is kind of specific then I let him know the rest is of course his choice and I will be ok with that. I can't wait to read the other comments. I do have specific prayers I use for my son. He has an anxiety issues at only 8, and he is very sensitive about everything. He also get's occasional panic attacks. I always pray over him in the morning and at night. He always sleeps better and does better in school after this. Anyway the prayer goes something like this: Dear Lord, please watch over Dominic tonight and send your angels to protect him. Let him sleep peacefully without bad dreams and please help him not have any shaking episodes (this it the panic attacks), Please make sure your angels stand guard over him while he sleeps and keep all evil away from him. Protect and watch over him. In Jesus name I pray. In this one I don't usually say "thy wil be done," but I think I imply it. In fact just saying "In Jesus name we pray," sound to me like we are only asking and trusting In Jesus to guide the prayer in the way it was intended.
PS I will pray for your MIL and hope that all comes out fine.

Tina Leigh said...

Wow what good advice you have gotten on prayer!!! Print these out!! He knows what we are thinking before we think it!! My spiritual Daddy says this often about God..."When I'm out working in my shop & I drop a screw or a nut & I cant find it, I believe God is just as concerned about me finding that screw as I am...so I pray...Now Lord you know I need that screw..will you help me lay eyes on it if you dont mind!" He cares about everything I care about because I'm His youngin! When I worked home health...driving around, I had a lot of time to pray. We talked alot....sometimes I call Him DADDY instead of Father or Lord because there are times He is just that personel to me. Again, I'm His youngin so why cant I call Him Daddy?! God's phone number is Jer 33:3!!

T. Suzanne Eller said...

In my private time with God this morning I read the most amazing verse:

Now the Lord is the spirit, and wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, he gives freedom. 2 Cor. 3:16

I thought about all the times that I have had the freedom to go to my Father and to just talk. I love the shameless audacity that he allows me to walk openly in his presence, sit beside him, and open my life and heart.

You have a beautiful site and your honestly is awesome.

I want to thank you for coming by my site. God's doing cool things with this book and I love connecting with other moms through it.: )

Suzanne Eller

T. Suzanne Eller said...

I also wanted to mention that I'm a cancer survivor of 15 years (it was huge in my life then and I barely think about it now). I was 31 when it was diagnosed. If your MIL needs someone to talk to, I'd be happy to talk with her.

mom of 2 said...

I do ask that God's will be done...a lot!! I also ask for specific things for people's health and safety and stuff like that. I also pray for people to have peace, strength and courage to accept things as they are! I agree with many others in that the relationship is like that of us and our children. We want to know what is going on in their lives. Sometimes we already know, but we want to hear it in their words.

As for the laundry, I make it part of the kids weekly chores. Their hanging clothes stay hung up in the laundry room and their folded clothes go into the basket. I put mine and hubby's away as I wash them. Then on the weekend the kids are responsible for getting their clothes upstairs and put away. It helps me a lot!!

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

It was chilly here too. Praying for you and yours.

Gretchen said...

I have read your blog lately, and I love it!

About your question~ I also believe that you should ask for specifics. If you don't know how to or what exactly to say, the Holy Spirit does. He intercedes for us. If we don't know the words, He does. Just talk to him like your family. Tell him about your day, tell him your worries, your triumphs, and your hopes and dreams. He's there for you.

Tammy said...

I don't have words of wisdom since I am kind of going through something similar at the moment. I just wanted say that you're not alone...and that the 'enemy' sometimes comes against all of us from time to time in different ways.
But I thought some of the replies were excellent and I'll be reading them again.

Oh- and I'm in need of some new things on the menu- I'm going to go check out your shepherd's pie! :)

Melany aka Supermom said...

WTG on getting the laundry out of the way immediately. My thoughts are with your MIL

Anonymous said...

I LOVED reading all the advise you got for your "prayer time" ... sorry to say, I nearly enjoyed it more then the post itself. I have learnt so much from all the advise you got - thank you :-)

Courtney said...

Oh, I can not wait for cooler weather. Your MIL is in my thoughts & prayers. Thank you for your comment yesterday. I'm doing much better today:)
Love ya,
Court ♥

Laurie said...

Sandra, I am keeping your MIL and you and your family in my prayers.