Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Treasure Tuesday!!!



It's time for another Treasure Tuesday, and I have to tell you that it actually wasn't hard looking for one today. This treasure that I'm about to share with you all, is very dear to my heart (aren't they all?), but you know how some have that special meaning right???

First I'm going to show you what it is:



It's a handmade silk spanish shawl. It's beautiful all on it's own, but even more so because my grandmother gave it to me. My grandfather (my mom's dad), was a musician, he played guitar for some of the greatest fadistas of Portugal. You can find out more about Fado here.
On one of his trips to Spain, he acquired this Shawl which he gave to my grandmother, and she later on gave to me, years after he had passed away.

Not only is this shawl a gorgeous piece, but the sentiment attached to it is MAJOR. It's like having a small part of my grandfather with me, forever. I first got it in Portugal when I visited my grandmother there, then brought it back home to South Africa, and now to the States. It's one of those items that if the house had to burn down, it would be safely tucked under my arm as I run out the door. :)



So what is your treasure for today??? If you want to participate or visit other bloggers sharing their treasures, just head on over to Faithful Mommy.

5 comments:

Beck said...

Wow. That is so amazingly gorgeous - and the family history attached to it is so amazing. Do you ever wear it?

Kelli said...

Sandra,
What a gorgeous shawl!! I really enjoyed hearing the history of it...a very special treaure!

Kelli

Michelle said...

That is a beautiful shawl! What a wonderful story to go along with it as well!

Overwhelmed! said...

I love the shawl, and the sentiment behind it!

Looney Mom™ said...

That is beautiful! I don't blame you for wanting to grab that on the way out in case of a fire!