Monday, July 10, 2006

Here's a little hint for all you

mother's to be out there. I'm sure the moms will agree and shout out an AMEN to this.

DON'T give your kids a choice when it comes to breakfast, or actually any meal for that matter. It's the most frustrating, hair pulling experience you will ever encounter. If you like pulling out tons of food and showing it to them over and over, then by all means, go ahead and say the words "What would you like to eat?"........but if you don't, RUN, just throw them a piece of lettuce or something and RUN FORREST RUN.
I'm just kidding on the lettuce, obviously, but really, why do I put myself through this every morning?

Me - Nicholas what do you want for breakfast?
Nic - Ummmm Cereal? (note the question, he's not really sure, and that's the first sign to abort the mission)
Me - Ok, which one do you want (Golly Sandra, we've been here before, just drop it)
Nic - Ummmm Kix, NO, Kix with Berries, NO NO I want pancakes!
Me - Uhhh ok (put the cereal back and grab the pancake mix), mommy make you pancakes.
Nic - NO I don't want pancakes, I want toast.
Me - (going red in the face), OhhhKAY, toast it is (put away the pancakes).
*Grab the bread and pop two slices in the toaster*
*Make him cinnamon toast which he likes and place it on plate*
Me - Here you go, here's your toast.
Nic - No No NO (runs off) I don't want toast.

Do you see where this is going?!?!?! I'm going to end up having to eat that toast, which I am NOT in the mood for. It pretty much goes like this every morning and you would have thought that by now, at least I would have noticed the pattern and avoided those questions. It's a vicious circle I tell you!

With Curt working mid shift, the kids always want to sleep with me, and that's fine, I welcome the company, really. What I don't welcome is the sleepless nights, the punching in the face, the kicking in the crotch, the grabbing of the covers, the yelling at each other to "MOVE OVER" and the two pugs draped over my legs making them go numb. Yes you can see I had a wonderful night, maybe that's why I'm a bit cranky today. Not even my coffee is helping with the grumpiness.

emember yesterday I said that I was going to make an effort to dress nicely, even at home? And before you freak out, I don't mean a ballgown and cinderella shoes, I mean just clothes basically, instead of baggy sweatpants and old tshirts.
I got up this morning, got dressed and the kids asked me "where are you going?" YES YES, score one for mommy, mission accomplished. Now if I could just replace the slippers with some sandals or something, then I would really be scoring 100.

now what I have to do today??? Go find a project to work on for tomorrow's "Tackle it Tuesday" LOL
I must have gotten really organized the past few weeks because I can't seem to find anything to work on. That's a good thing right? Or not?

Have you ever just sat there and let your child make you laugh? And I don't mean, just a little giggle, I mean, really make you laugh where you can't breathe? I am sitting here posting this and Nicholas is on the other computer playing a game. I kept hearing him laugh and the computer saying some weird jibberish. Usually I would just keep doing what I'm doing, but I stopped and asked him why he was laughing. He then proceeded to double click constantly on one part of the game, which made the characters say some really weird but funny stuff. My son and I shared a good laugh, just us two, laughing until tears were running down our faces. It really felt good. :)

I want to point you in the direction of Kelli's blog. I found it a few weeks ago, and this lady just constantly makes me smile. She has the most beautiful antiques and always has such pretty things to share with us. She truly inspires me to be a better housewife and mom. Go on, even if you just like looking at pretty things, go look at her photos, they're worth it :)

I need to get going, here's my to do list for today, not that you care, I'm sure most of you couldn't care less how I spend my time LOL Only reason I post it is because it actually helps to remind me of what I have to do.

 I have to send off a book that was requested from Paperbackswap.
One basket of laundry to iron.
Two loads of laundry to wash.
Upstairs bathroom to clean.
Sweep and Mop kitchen and hallway.
Mow the front yard.
Get back yard prepped and areas sectioned off for lava rock.
Project for Tackle it Tuesday

And a note for my family in South Africa, I'm out of Curry Powder, so please send some more of that good stuff LOL See ya all tomorrow, bright and early, God Bless,

6 comments:

Beck said...

No kidding about not giving your kids' breakfast choices! I feel like a complete short-order cook around here.
I tagged you, by the way!

Angie said...

Oh the breakfast dance? Oh yes I do partake in that one too. 4 different times, it seems. I guess it is just part of the mommy/child pleasing realationship we all try to have with our kids! Gotta love it though! Oneday when we are old, we may do the same thing to them. :)

Kelli said...

Hi Sandra,
Emily (7) decided she didn't want any breakfast this morning. Since we were going to be gone all morning where the only snack was crackerjacks, I managed to get her to eat half a cup of yogurt. Then, Benjamin, after he finished his cereal, asked me "What's for dessert?" Sigh.

Kelli

Michelle said...

Yes you should learn by now not to offer choices! LOL We're moms, not short order cooks :) Sometimes I worry about Kayla not eating dinner and offer her something else from what we are having. Then I met someone who told me, "Your job is to make a healthy meal for Kayla and place it in front of her. Then your job is done. Her job is to chose to eat it or not." I'm trying to take that advice!

On another note: I got up and walked for a good 1/2 hr with Kayla this morning. I used to walk every morning but then summer came and it's just too darn hot. The sun was up already bright and early this morning and I was going to make and excuse, but remembered your post from yesterday about doing something for ourselves- so out we went for our walk!

Looney Mom™ said...

Sounds like every meal around here x4, 5 if you count hubby. And I think it's a great thing that you can't find any other projects... If I started tomorrow, I'd still have stuff for the next decade I'm sure.

rena said...

You have ALOT on your plate for one day!! Now I know why I escape to the office everyday. LOL. My trick when the kids were little...have no choices for breakfast etc...we only kept one kind of healthy cereal, one type of multigrain bread, and eggs, bacon etc. and that was it. Now their young adults, and don't even eat breakfast. Heh, maybe that's why!