Tuesday, June 27, 2006

You do what you have to do!!!



I think as a mother, wife and woman in general, we've all become used to just "doing what you have to do". You keep going, and going and going, but you start noticing that no matter how much or how fast you move, you just can't keep up with some things.

There's projects to be done, there's clothes to be washed, put away, floors to be mopped, dogs that need vet visits, cars that need to be serviced, and the list just goes on and on.

While reading my book, the third chapter entitled "Daddy's Lap" talks about the comfort of being in the Father's lap, much like watching your children sitting on your husbands lap, laughing and giggling, or crying and seeking some comfort. That is how we feel when we crawl into our Father's lap and cry over a problem we're having, a loved one we lost or a burden weighing heavy on our hearts.

Many times I've had people say to me "I wish I was as strong as you or had your faith". I smile, but inwardly I'm thinking "are you kidding me??? I'm not strong, I'm not that confident in my faith and I certainly don't have it all figured out and under control".

The author talks about times when she always felt that if someone needed help it was somehow her responsibility. Boy do I know that feeling, and I never trusted God to be the one helping, it's like I would challenge him to try and outdo me "come on let's see how fast you can get it done, I bet I can do it faster."
Sure, but I didn't do it right, I just added to the problem, and in the process disappointed God because again he had to remind me that "The battle is not yours, it is Mine".

Self-effort is ultimately self-destruction. Self-effort short-circuits God's purposes, robs God of His rightful glory and leaves me exhausted. (Exhaustion is God's reminder that we are not resting in Him).
Well when put that way, it makes so much more sense doesn't it???
You can crawl down from his lap after spending some time with Him, but as long as you move through the rest of the day, holding His hand tightly in yours, then everything will be ok.

Time Out

  • What battles do you fight? Are you fighting a battle the Lord has not asked you to fight? If so, evacuate!
  • Read II Chronicles 20. What is required to stand? What relationship do you see between standing and the psalmist's command in Psalm 46:10 to "be still, and know that I am God"?
  • Be encouraged that in your battle, God goes before you and is with you.

******************************************************************

I woke up this morning with a sore throat and running a bit of a fever. I guess I got over my sinus infection but now I'm dealing with the remains of a summer cold. I could complain and cry and whine about it, or I could just go on and deal with it. I choose to just deal with it, really, I don't have energy to stomp my feet and yell and scream.

While watching "Super Nanny" yesterday (I'm sure some of you don't like her, but I do), I realized that I at times also talk to my kids in ways that are unnaceptable and mean. It's not that I deliberately set out to upset them, and honestly, after asking them or telling them to do something a gazillion times, you tend to loose your cool.
I think one thing that I learnt though is that it's all in the way you say things, wow, here I've been saying this for years and years. It's not what you say, it's HOW you say it!!!

So as much as it pains me to admit that I'm not the greatest mom in the world and that I mess up more times that I would like to.....I pledge to try my hardest to do what is right by my kids.
How could I not when I have these gorgeous faces in my life, every day.

So today this is what I have planned:

  1. One load of laundry, wash, iron and put away
  2. Dusting
  3. Vacuum
  4. Mop
  5. Watch Brazil vs Ghana match
  6. Make Boston Cream Cupcakes
  7. Devotionals

Don't have a lot, and I'm hoping that me feeling sick today won't get in the way too much.

Yesterday I bid on a portuguese book on ebay, I'm so excited to get it. I've wanted to teach my kids portuguese for such a long time, and I think having some portuguese books to read to them will help too. Nothing would please me more than to have them be bilingual and also learn more about the portuguese culture. Wish me luck!!!

Well ladies, I'm all out of things to say and my head is starting to hurt, think it's time for some medicine and then get my day started. I really do hope you all have a wonderful tuesday and if you're going through some sort of trial or tribulation, I hope that you put it in God's hands and let him deal with it, or even better, hold on to his hand tightly and let him go through this day with you :)

God Bless,



8 comments:

Looney Mom™ said...

I hope you feel better; sinus infections are just downright frustrating.

I've got some battles I know I need to turn over to the Lord or I'm gonna lose it. Thanks for sharing.

Mom2fur said...

First, what a pair of cuties! I love your daughter's hair.

Second, rotten time of the year to have a sinus infection, let alone any 'head cold' type of illness. Hope you feel better soon!

Third, thanks for visiting my blog. Tell you what...you make me a dozen of those cupcakes, and I'll come straighten up your pantry shelves!

I have a better 'to do' list for you:

"Chill out, watch the soccer game, do your devotionals*--and GET BETTER."

(*I'm not sure what these are. Prayers, I assume?)

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness your kids are adorable!

None of us are perfect mothers...but we do the best we can by our kids and I think you've got that covered - don't be so hard on yourself!

and hey - can you send me some of those Boston Creme cupcakes? Yum!

Anonymous said...

Boston creme cupcakes? OMG, those sound *so* freaking good! Are you putting the recipe in your online cookbook? Heck, now I can't remember what else I was going to comment on. Oh yeah, your kids are *so* cute! Look at your daughter's curly red hair! I'm *so* curious what our daughter will look like. If she's blonde-haired and blue-eyed, I'm going to dye my hair blonde, too! LOL! :) You are *so* right about "battles" ... I look forward to saying a prayer every night. It's comforting.

someone else said...

You always write such thoughtful things. I really enjoy your perspective on your life.

Hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what wonderful thoughts you had. Yes, it is all about Him, who can give us the strength and peace we need in our daily chores at work and at home...Some days I feel I can't do it any longer. If that happenes I just sit at His feet and listen...Thanks again for sharing...
Oh, BTW - go soccer:)

rena said...

This really was a very lovely post. Thanks for sharing it. Enjoy your day, and the game.

Your kids are so cute! Love the red hair. By the smiles in their eyes, I'd say that your doing just fine as their mommy. We moms are always second guessing and judging ourselves harshly about our mothering....I'm not sure that God is even one bit as concerned about the jobs we're doing as we are.

Anonymous said...

There is a song. Because He lives I can face tomorrow, because He lives all fear is gone. Because He lives I know the future is worth the living just because He lives. I cannot remember who wrote it or who sang it and made it famous. However, I know that just now that helps me to be at peace where I am. Things didn't go well in court, but that was to be expected. I just hope things go well three months from now. It is truly amazing how someone can be so little involved and then when the child is almost seven reappear and then they have so many rights. I just think God is mad at me, but then realize He is there I just don't know it right now.

My blog will be up shortly, but due to so many stalkers I have been forced to take them both down temporarilly as it is in the best interest of my children.

Talk to you soon.

Faith