Tuesday, June 06, 2006

TREASURE TUESDAY!!!



I love tuesdays, not only do I get to sit back and reflect on something that is a treasure to me, but it reminds me of the blessings we all have in our lives. Nothing like looking at a certain item over and over again and then one day you pick it up and remember the story behind it, it puts it all in a new light.

My treasure today is very near and dear to my heart. If you've been visiting my blog for a while you remember my Treasure Tuesday about my Greatgrandmother. She meant the world to me and I always think back about the times we spent together, the laughs, the jokes and all that she taught me.

One thing I love doing is cooking, and she did too. I remember spending hours watching her at the stove and learning from her. Those were some of the best moments of my life.

When I was about 15 or 16, we sat down at the kitchen table and together we collected recipes from magazines or newspapers to make this little booklet for me. I still have it and it's one of my treasured possessions. Now mind you all the recipes are in portuguese, because, well, because I'm portuguese LOL




Some of the pages are starting to fall apart, and at first I was thinking about redoing it, but then I remembered that my greatgrandmothers hands touched it, she tied the strings for me and I wouldn't DARE undo it. I hope to one day pass it on to my daughter.

So that's my treasure for this tuesday. For a list of other participants and if you play along and want to add your name to the list, just go on over to Faith at "Faithful Mommy".

6 comments:

Diane Viere said...

There must be something in the cyber-air today--my TT is about my grandmother as well!

Diane

Kim from Hiraeth said...

Oh, my. That one took my breath away. I sat here and gasped! What a treasurely treasure that is! So wise of you to leave it as is.

Overwhelmed! said...

What a sweet treasure! I have some recipes from both my grandmothers, some in their handwriting, and I treasure these as well!

Thanks for stopping by to see my treasure. :)

Michelle said...

What a wonderful treasure and special memories! I also did a treasure on my great-grandmother today! I'm sure your daughter will love having this booklet of recipes passed on to her.

Just Nancy said...

What a special treasure! You should make sure the pages are secured in acid free plastic so they don't deteriorate anymore! Thanks for stopping by my blog and the nice comments!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome treasure! I have a copy of my great grampa's Welsch Cookie recipe framed in my kitchen. Its all in his handwriting with my great gram's "additional ingredients". Its so very precious to me like I can only imagine this booklet is to you. I have up a little treasure, too.