Friday, June 23, 2006

EVERYDAY THINGS!!!



Jules at Everyday Mommy started this weekly Friday feature called "Everyday Things".

We're supposed to embrace contentment and learn to like the everyday things that we tend to overlook or take for granted. Thank you Jules, this has definitely made me stop and think about the little things that really do make my life what it is - a happy one!!!

Everyday I cook and everyday I enjoy what I do, being a mom, a wife and a homemaker. But everytime I pick up a pot or pan, I'm instantly taken back to when I was about 5 or 6 years old. I was staying over at my grandmother's house during the summer, and my greatgrandmother lived with her. Every morning, they had the same ritual, they would sit at the table and drink tea with a dash of milk and a piece of toast with jam. I can still smell the tea and the jam and hear their voices talking about what to make for dinner or what they had to clean around the house.

Me, I was sitting on the floor right between them, with toy pots and pans and I would act like I was cooking. I would ask for some pepper or a potatoe or whatever else I could think of, and my greatgrandmother would sit there and tell me what a great job I was doing. "Now add some oil Sandra", she would say, or "you want to make some soup for lunch?".

Then everyday, we would all get dressed after breakfast, go to the market to get fresh vegetables and meat, and my grandmother would always buy me, yet another bag of play pots and pans.

So til this day, whenever I pick up a skillet or pot or pan and am getting ready to cook, I feel as if I have my greatgrandmother standing right next to me, watching as I prepare yet another meal. That is one of the little everyday things that may seem small to others, but is OH SO big for me. :)

"...and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

3 comments:

Carol said...

I love this! It's like her memory lives on for you through an Everyday Thing. So simple, but how profound. Thanks for sharing your memory.

Courtney said...

What sweet sweet memories. Thank you for sharing.

Have a great weekend Sandra:)
Love ya,
Court

PastormacsAnn said...

What a treasure that you had both these ladies in your life. Thanks for sharing those memories with us.